Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

apexi power fc problems!!! HELP!

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Mickymoe
Trc Off

apexi power fc problems!!! HELP!

Postby Mickymoe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Ok so details;

Have year 2000 altezza (sxe10) with greddy turbo kit
Apexi power fc - it's the 98-01 turbo model

Trying to fit apexi power fc ecu but it won't control my throttle at all?! With the factory ecu fitted everything runs fine, then when I fit the apexi the throttle does nothing at all. Idles high about 2000rpm and when I put throttle down it does not respond. I have tried the 30 min learning sequence twice now and nothing.

It is as if the ecu cannot control an e-throttle. Should it? Or do I have to convert to 100% mechanical?!

I am so confused. Is anyone else using this ecu on their altezza?

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Re: apexi power fc problems!!! HELP!

Postby Tosh21 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:39 pm

the power fc should be able to control everything straight up, it doesn't like a mechanical throttle. They are known to be very temperamental with earths especially. I've never heard of this before though

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Cheers for the reply lad.

Yeah I couldn't understand why it wouldn't work with the throttle on the car as it's plug and play for an altezza?! The only reason I asked was because the guy I bought it off said he had 100% mechanical throttle on his altezza when he had it fitted and it worked fine..... so obviously he wouldn't have been aware of the throttle problem.....

I have read about bad earth's sometimes being a result. Is there an easy way to find a bad earth that may be contributing or just a matter of checking all of them? There is an earthing kit on the car also so thought that maybe the earth wouldn't have been the problem......

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:42 am

If he was running it mechanical he may have a sensor or output turned off in the Ecu.

Did you get a handcontroller with it? If you did you can go through the menus and do q sensor check then apply throttle and see if the TPS voltage is changing.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:49 pm

If its a bad earth It tends to just short out and ruin the ecu, thats what happened to me anyway..twice :( I assume it was a bad earth anyway I'm not too sure. 2 ecus have shorted out and burnt one of the chips. My symptoms were different to yours though. if you dont have a hand controller I have one you can try if you cant find one locally to you

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:49 am

Yeah have a hand controller with it. But can't find anything in the menu to do with throttle!

Started the initial procedure from cold today and it started off at 1300rpm and as soon as it warmed up to 80 degrees water temp it shot up to 2000rpm again and just sat there.

I even got a base map off a fella to try and load it onto the ecu but it wouldn't write to my ecu as "it's a different version of power fc"

Really am stuck here and starting to think the ecu is faulty :(

What did you do with your ecu when the bad earth's damaged a chip?

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:03 am

theres a voltage readout on the hand controller i think, check tps voltage on there should be 0.78v on idle. You can send them back to apexi for repair but it was £330 for them just to look at it, there is a company in aus that can repair at a better price but I cant remember who it was now. ended up giving it to a friend who works with chips he said it's an easy repair if he can get the chip but hes not done it yet so I can't comment on that yet. you can always open the ecu and look inside to see if there are any burnt solder joins or chips and if it is burnt out any good electronics company should be able to do something about it, if the ecu is burnt out it's useless and you have nothing to lose by attempting a repair.

Have you checked the wiring to make sure no one has tampered with anything at all? also worth checking the voltages on the ecu with a voltmeter just to try single out bits and see if anything stands out. the pfc is an absolute pain in the ass i hated that thing

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”