Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Water Temperature

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Water Temperature

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:28 am

Those of you who saw my other thread will all know, I had a bit of overheating trouble due to a little hose that i stupidly left the clips off! Since then I've had no overheating issues and regular checks have confirmed that I'm not loosing any water! :) As I was loosing a lot before i am just running water without antifreeze so I plan to drain it and change it soon adding 50% antifreeze. I believe the Altezza needs the red stuff so is this suitable (as I get good discount on it from local factor)

I have had a new weird issue for the last week where the temperature gauge on the dash is displaying the water temperature as not getting up to temperature for ages!!! It used to be that it would be up to normal (very slightly under half way) about half way to work and driving for about 15mins but now I can get all the way to work and still only be on a quarter! It will never overheat or go above the normal level still but it will take a good long time and few journeys without cooling in between or long idling after a journey etc to get it there! I might be just imagining it but the car seems to maybe be idling a bit higher at traffic lights on way to work (about 25mins into journey) at 1000-1100rpm rather than usual 900ish too.

The way I see it, there are three possible options:
> Gauge is faulty
> Temperature sensor or sender for the gauge is faulty (is this in the rad btw?)
> Thermostat issue (though would this affect the heater from getting hot if so cos I think that is ok?)

How can I test any of these accurately and can I use the info from Torque to help in any way? What other suggestions have people got please and advice on how to test any of it please? :) I plan to change the water and see if that makes any difference but I can't see it will as it seemed to be reading accuratelt before and Ive been running it on just water for few months while i had the leak issues.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Re: Water Temperature

Postby Soiled » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:58 am

Having your heater on will make intake longer to get up to temperature as its essentially another mini radiator.

Are your radiator fans running all the time?

Check the fans, then try without running your heater until you're up to temperature, then if that doesn't work try a new thermostat as it may be stuck open (they're pretty cheap so won't hurt to do anyway.)

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:05 pm

Sorry, wasn't clear about the heater. I haven't been using it much as it's not that cold yet. It does this whether the heater is on hot or cold really. I just made the point to explain that the heater still seems to get hot so dont think it's my thermostat (but not ruling it out) :)

No the fans are running as normal, only coming on when the engine is hot and when needed as far as I can tell.

Does the coolant I linked look like the right kind of stuff? (it says OAT Technology: Monoethylene Glycol based)

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:12 pm

I use the green coolant, it doesn't really matter too much just as long as you don't mix the two together as they turn to a gunky mess. So either use what was previously in there or make sure you have flushed it out thoroughly.

Does your torque app see the temperature sensor reading? If so would it be possible to pull the sensor out put it in a jug of hot water with a thermometer and compare the two to see if it's close. (similar to testing to see if a thermostat will open).

I'm not sure on where the sensor is either but can only assume it'll be on the bottom of the radiator/return hose.

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:51 am

Cheers Soiled :) I flushed all the coolant system while the engine was out and I had a leak where I was topping up half a litre of water every day so the system is well flushed now and so this coolant should be fine then from the sounds of things. Just wonder which is the best? OAT, Glycol, Silicate, Phosphate??

The Torque app will tell me the coolant temperature in degrees but the only problem is that I would need to have the engine running (or at least the ignition on maybe) to connect my phone to the ECU and to get the reading so would be then awkward to then drain the water, take the sensor out and bung it in a jug of water and not sure what that would tell me? Or am I barking up the wrong tree from what you were saying mate?

The other guys on the NZ club are suggesting the thermostat gasket/seal - is this easy to get to and can I get one to change easily? Has anyone done this before please?

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:39 pm

That's the thermostat. Mine was sitting at a quarter after the 2 hour drive just after I bought the car and it was a faulty stat. It's an absolute BITCH of a job, need some major nimble fingers and having the headers off helps alot. There quite easy to get hold of and only cost about 20 quid.

Pretty sure The temp sensor is next to the pas pump. It's a vertical plug, think it's green?

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:15 am

Cheers Tosh :) I'll have a word with you about this at JAE at the weekend so we can discuss while in front of the engine if that's ok?

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”