Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Altezza Running Hot

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Dbpics
Noob!

Altezza Running Hot

Postby Dbpics » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Recently bought a Toyota Altezza. Running perfect the night I bought her. Gave it a bit of reving one night and a rough idol came in it to make the whole car go into a vibration.
Looked under the bonnet and the top hoes was very hot. bottom hoes was hot but not as hot.. I know a car has to get warm. But its running to hot!!
Car isn't rising temp hand or losing oil/water/coolant..

But there alot of hot air rising from the engine to.. Can anyone recommend what to do or check??

I also think the inlet manifold is on the way out but don't think this would effect it getting hot..

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Altezza Running Hot

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:08 am

Not sure about the rough idle but probably not a bad idea to do a MAF sensor clean and reset anyway :)
I believe that these cars suffer with vibration due tothe dual mass flywheel (mine has got a lightweight solid one so cant describe exactly the nature of this vibration as never experienced it).

If your temperature needle on the dash isnt going up to over half way then I would say that you are fine there tbh. My engine gives off a lot of heat too and I think its fairly normal. Does you rad fan kick in if you get it very hot and sit idling? Mine can take a lot to get it up to temp (well into the 90's°C) but then the fan will come on.

What makes you think the inlet manifold is on the way out?

donato
Trc Off

Postby donato » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:21 pm

I think you might be panicking over nothing about the heat and the hoses. The top hose going into the radiator will be piping hot as it's coolant coming out of the engine. The bottom radiator hose will be cooler because it's just cycled through the radiator to cool it down. So long as your car doesn't over heat and your fans kick in then you won't have a heat issue.

The usual symptoms for idle issues and flat spots are the MAF sensor - so give this a clean. It'd be worth wile to clean the inside of the throttle body as well. Also, whilst you have the intake pipe off check for oil in your inlet if you do you may need to install a catch can to stop blow by oil and preserve the life of you intake components and engine.

The vibration could be a number of things - worn engine mounts, dual mass flywheel etc. If it drives normal and doesn't over hear i wouldn't worry too much.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:06 pm

Yea they do run mega hot, I cant touch my cam cover after a hard blast and when it rains the bonnet steams up as the exhaust boils the water on the outside of the bonnet! As long as your temp gauge isnt doing anything weird I wouldn't worry about it.

The dual mass flywheel wont make it vibrate, it's designed to stop the vibration. The vibration is probably from the idle falling so low, which could be spark plugs as mine did it and when i changed to IK20s it made the idle way better

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:30 am

The dual mass is designed to do that Tosh but its well documented that it seems to do a piss poor job at a particular rev range when decelerating. On some cars this can give a shaking and rumble of the whole car (apparently) and thats why the lightened flywheel is a popular mod and seems to cure it in most case. Theres a thread about it on the NZ club somewhere i seem to remember cos this is something I looked into when first getting the car (came with lightened flywheel fitted).

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:51 pm

oh really? wtf is the point in putting one in then lol I thought the light wheel would make it worse (which is why they use a dual mass in the first place) I guess not!

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Not sure, its just what I read mate. Ive only ever driven my Altezza which has a lightweight flywheel on it.
Think they just got something a bit wrong maybe?! It probably makes vibration less at all other RPMs but just this little niggle. There is some question that a brand new dual mass would sort the issue too so maybe its just that they wear quicker and cause the issue. I get the impression that most dual mass flywheels on a lot of vehicles (especially Vauxhalls) cause issues. A bit like DPFs on diesels - they seem to cause issues on all makes and models too! LOL

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”