Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Turbo Build

Once you've introduced yourself why not throw up a few pictures of your car or a project thread?
paulotc
Noob!

Turbo Build

Postby paulotc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:53 am

Just getting ready for my build but have a few small issues
Car is idling pretty rough it sounds as if its running lean. It did have a problem with compression in cylinder 1 before just wondering could it be the same again? The valves were done in that cylinder.
But this time round the thermostat is Sticking and not allowing the car get to normal running temperature while driving but if i leave it running parked up for about 10 mins it will get to temperature. As I drive it cools down again. Im not sure if this would affect the running of the engine myselft as im not a mechanic :lol:
If it turns out to be the valves the head gasket will need replacing. I have a 1.8mm apexi metal gasket on the way for my turbo build and rather than just using a standard one and waste money i would prefer to put in the 1.8mm but would i be able to drive it without the turbo set up in the car as normal? ie running smoothly as will have NCT in a few weeks?
Any extra info wud be greatly appreciated :)

JZZ30
Trc On!

Re: Turbo Build

Postby JZZ30 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:04 pm

paulotc wrote:But this time round the thermostat is Sticking and not allowing the car get to normal running temperature while driving but if i leave it running parked up for about 10 mins it will get to temperature. As I drive it cools down again. Im not sure if this would affect the running of the engine myselft as im not a mechanic

Running a car cold all time will result in slightly higher wear as the oil will be thicker being cold. The car also might burn more fuel cause the engine has to rich up fuel mixture while being colder and maybe some oil too because all of the moving gear (pistons, piston rings etc.) will not expand due to being not hot enough which can result in bigger gaps an so on (all depending on how cold it is running and how many mls are on the engine).

paulotc wrote:If it turns out to be the valves the head gasket will need replacing. I have a 1.8mm apexi metal gasket on the way for my turbo build and rather than just using a standard one and waste money i would prefer to put in the 1.8mm but would i be able to drive it without the turbo set up in the car as normal? ie running smoothly as will have NCT in a few weeks?

Should be fine. The car will be down a few bhp due to lower compression but everything else should be just fine.

I would consider to replace all faulty and worn parts before installing the turbo as the turbo will put more stress on all engine and transmission related parts. Would even consider to replace the timing belt incl. water pump and tensioner while the head is off to replace the head gasket - and that is where the £££'s are going to.

paulotc
Noob!

Postby paulotc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Ya I have the thermostat got just have to put it in. I have the car parked up now so i can do all the work so hopefully no damage was done.
Oh I meant to say I will be doing the timing belt and water pump when the head is coming off as well my bad :D
I will Have to get it compression tested anyway to be sure but should I wait until i have the thermostat stat changed?
I am using 10w40 castrol oil should i change to 5w30 when i go turbo?

JZZ30
Trc On!

Postby JZZ30 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:01 pm

If you get the compression tested anyway you do not necessarily have to wait for having the thermostat changed as it wont affect compression results by much I guess! The gaps of the piston rings should not be that big that the compression suffers much but you might get some few extra psi on top if the engine is in its optimum temp. range.

Even if an engine is cold you can get some decent compression results if the engine is healthy.

Tough question about the oil. There are many different opinions in this case.
In my opinion 10W40 is better suited for turbochargers as the viscosity is better in low temp. conditions.
I for myself go for 10W60 full synthetic but that is on a race engine where I do not have to think much about oil consumption.

I think there are some threads around about the right choice of oil for each engine (condition, milage etc.).

paulotc
Noob!

Postby paulotc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Ok Cool Thanks :D
Should I wait until I NCT the car before I turbo it? The Car will be mapped when i get the turbo kit in so would this be an idea to do before nct?

JZZ30
Trc On!

Postby JZZ30 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Ha dont know about NCT at all as I am resident of Switzerland but there are enough good blokes on here which might know this I assume.

xeraptor
Trc Off

Postby xeraptor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:19 pm

I would advice to pass NCT and then mess with the car.
Emissions might be tricky with power fc + you have to keep the cat converter.

paulotc
Noob!

Postby paulotc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:15 am

Im not going to be using the POWER FC yet. I have the greddy emanage blue piggyback. I know about the drawbacks that it resets after awhile but i have an air fuel ration guage to help keep an eye on that also. Don't most turbo cars have cats in the exhaust from factory? Would i not be able to do this and still get about 280bhp ?

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:24 am

Cat will be fine.

Why not use the PowerFC straight away? Why go through the hassle of wiring in a piggy back?

Also I never had a problem with the manager blue getting its tune.changed by the factory Ecu. It will make adjustments in closed loop driving (can even bypass this by unwinding your O2 sensor) but will never affect open loop.

paulotc
Noob!

Postby paulotc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 am

Ok that will save alot of haslle making a straight pipe thanks.
I got it with my kit and I just could'nt be bothered spending upwards of €1000 to get the power fc with controller and then a map. I will later down the line but for now the emanage will do fine :D
Could you explain the term open loop and closed loop?
I'm not familiar with it...

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Isn't the can in the manifold? Therefore when you put the turbo manifold on you wont have a cat. Or does the kit come with a cat somewhere in the downpipe.

You don't need to decat, all standard cars have cats on them decat just lets the gasses flow out easier and it makes it louder

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:23 pm

Closed loop the Ecu takes information from sensors then makes adjustments to fuel trims and timing, happens in light load and cruise conditions. (for fuel saving essentially)

Open loop just dumps in a predetermined amount of fuel and timing irrelevant of what the sensors are saying (except knock sensors which can override and retard the timing to save your engine)

Burtib67
Noob!

Postby Burtib67 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:22 am

Yeah. Running the vehicles cold all time can create some issues in their performance. The performance also depends upon the transmission fluid that you use. Which transmission fluid do you use for your car? I always prefer castrol transmission fluid for my Honda Civic VTi.

Return to “Member's Cars / Projects”