Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Rake

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
chewse
Trc Off

Rake

Postby chewse » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Just wanna hear a few thought...positive( front lower vs negative (lower rear) rake..what do u guys thinks is best for our cars...currently I have positive rake..front is a few(2-5)mm lower than rear

andy t
Trc Off

Re: Rake

Postby andy t » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:16 am

cant beat a nice level stance in my opinion

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:44 am

I had loads of rake at one point, Front was super low compared to rear but I kept bottoming out. Still leave the front lower than the back though but not quite so much. looks awesome with a wee bit of rake

chewse
Trc Off

Postby chewse » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Tosh21 wrote:I had loads of rake at one point, Front was super low compared to rear but I kept bottoming out. Still leave the front lower than the back though but not quite so much. looks awesome with a wee bit of rake

how did it handle with loads of positive rake?.. i have just a wee bit and adjuted the front dampers to half way stiff and the rears on the softest setting...car handles excellent

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:21 am

Worse with mega rake. But saying that, mine don't have damping adjustment and the front was so low I kept bottoming out on every single bump.

andy t
Trc Off

Postby andy t » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:09 am

all really depends on what coilovers you have too...
soft & hard can make a big difference to handling

LovingMyAltezza
Noob!

Postby LovingMyAltezza » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:19 am

Hi,
I'm still very much a Rookie with the Altezza, but I've always monkeyed about with springs, dampers, bushes etc. (let's call it 'suspension, eh?) on my old Opel Mantas and Asconas, and found that having the front a tad higher, perhaps 15 to 25mm tended to lead to a more obedient front end which would turn-in easier, and lots of lovely traction to the driven-wheels at the back end. It may LOOK really killer to have a car with it's nose down in the dirt and its' tail high, but it likely won't do it any favours in the bends or off the line.
My Alfa-Romeo 75 TwinSpark is blessed with virtually 50:50 weight distribution (being a transaxle car, with that engine slammed right back against the bulkhead) and they are known for being one of the better-handling cars of their generation, capable in particular of jogging-away from bigger-engined cars - which are a lot quicker on paper - in the twisties of the Nurburgring. I guess that having gone to the expense of fitting coil-overs, a session of 'corner-weighting' wouldn't go amiss, to try to equalise loadings for each wheel. The ever-practical Colin Chapman used to use four sets of bathroom-scales when optimising his delicate little Lotus Sevens, but I'm sure our cars would need something more substantial under them. ;-)

andy t
Trc Off

Postby andy t » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:57 am

this is true,,, it does take alot of toying & adjusting to get perfect,,,

but mostly we just try get it the height we want and leave it at that :D

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”