Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Plasti Dip

Anything related to bodykits, wheels lights & other exterior things, post here
dylbert33
Trc On!

Plasti Dip

Postby dylbert33 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Anybody any experience in using this stuff on wheels? My standard 17's are in a bad way, the usual corrosion and lacquer cracking. I don't have the cash to get a refurb so I was thinking of covering them with Plasti Dip for the time being. Would I have to prep the wheels first or would I get a good finish just spraying them after a good clean?

donut46
Meath Rep

Re: Plasti Dip

Postby donut46 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Ring the boys in cleancar.ie they sell the stuff and are sound as a pound they will tell you how best to use it!!

They are based in Wexford but they do deliver
QUALITAT ALTEZZA

Please Support Your Club
viewtopic.php?t=8309&f=2

TezzaWorld Car Stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724&hilit=stickers

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:04 am

used plasti dip before on few thing and it does peel off after a while and depending on use and stress etc.. would be better to get some acid wheel cleaner give them a good clean then a flat and give them a spray over, would last longer than plasti dip :wink:

dylbert33
Trc On!

Postby dylbert33 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:20 pm

I might have a go at painting them so, anybody know what other Toyota models wheels fit the Altezza? was thinking of picking up an old steel wheel from a breakers and refurbing one alloy at a time.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:56 am

If you have a full sized spare use that, any 5x114.3 wheels will fit, ranging from mr2, mitsubishi, nissan etc... I did do a topic on exactly which manufacture wheels to look for which will fit perfect, never been made a sticky though so you will have to search for it,

dylbert33
Trc On!

Postby dylbert33 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Only a space saver in the boot, cheers i'll do a search for it.

I came across this DIY guide, lad done a really good job,

http://midwalesmodified.forumotion.net/ ... urbishment

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 am

Seems ok guide but don't use standard filler as if you hit a curb or go over a bumpy road chances are it will fall off and look a right mess, use the alloy/aluminium filler what I used and is perfect for the job
use finer paper than what he did about 400-300 grit otherwise you will spend most of day flatting out the marks you did with the coarse paper, it may seem to take longer but not as long as when you paint and realise you got deep scratches in the wheel and have to prat around, also don't use 3 different types of primer as your asking for trouble use an acid etch primer and use it to cover the whole wheel it also act's like a sealer stopping any reactions but only a very light coat and a high build primer do not use that other stuff, and use a 600 grit paper before the acid etch primer as again after spraying you will need to rub back the primer to get a good finish and chances are you will break through and have to re coat
and don't use 400 for flatting final coat please need a minimum of 1200 grit otherwise you will have deep grooves in the wheels and when lacquer will look a right dog turd, but if you don't lacquer then use something like 1200 on runs but use a used piece not a fresh one, if runs are bad use 800 and go over the whole wheel with 3-5000 grit spit and polish
good guide apart from most of the mistakes :lol:
should have done one when did my wheels

dylbert33
Trc On!

Postby dylbert33 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 am

Decided to treat myself for my birthday and get them profesonaly done, just trying to decied between powder coating or painting, what you think?

Return to “Visual & Exterior section”