well I spent yesterday doing a few little jobs that I've been meaning to do for a while which 1 of them was to fit the later spec speedo cluster found in later tezza's
this is now whats fitted
I simply removed the old cluster by unscrewing the 3 retaining screws that hold the speedo surround (2x screws at top 1 down near ignition switch) using a dumpy phillips screw driver, you can then pull the surround free, then remove the 3 screws you will see holding the cluster in put the steering wheel in the down position to give you a bit more room and you can simply lift the cluster out and unplug the 2 plugs in the back then you can removed the cluster completely.
There are a few differences between the new and old clusters. the new cluster has extra functions on it that the old 1 doesn't like telling you your fuel range left in tank and your fuel usage. I'm not sure if these functions will work correctly but when I next fill up with fuel I'll keep an eye on them to see what happens,
1 of the main difference I noticed was that in the small of the 2 plug sockets in the back of the cluster there was 2 extra pins which the old cluster didn't have
I simply swapped the clusters over all of the functions worked the same as on the old cluster apart from 1, which was there was no back light on the cluster when you switched the lights on
After a bit of fiddling about a supply was found to power the back light in the cluster when the lights were on
this is how I done it
these are the 2 plugs that plug into the back of the cluster
on the large of the 2 plugs you will need to take a feed off of 1 of the wires the easiest way is to use a scotch lock
simply clamp the scotch lock round the wire in question along with the extra bit of wire that will be used as the feed for the backlights
once you have done this just check with a meter that the connections are good in the scotch lock and your good to go, I used about 15cm of wire to use as the extra feed.
You now need to plug it into the correct place in the big plug, the problem is that there is no pin in the plug to connect to so I stripped about 12-15mm off of the wire so that it was bear at the end. I twisted the wire strands together and then put the wire into the correct hole where the pin should of been not the best way to do it but I couldn't think of any other way of connecting it up
once I had done this I carefully plugged the plugs back into the new cluster and checked that everything worked. I switched the lights on and the cluster lights came on as well
thought I'd put this up as somebodies else may want to give it a go