Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Steering Wheel Shake

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
raffo
Altezza Guru

Steering Wheel Shake

Postby raffo » Mon May 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Rite, noticed this a few times but it's really at it today....................under braking the steering wheel goes into a feckin spasm and starts to really shake!!! :x The pads are fairly new so not them. I know it could be a warped disc the only thing is that it doesn't happen all the time.....When driving then slowing it will brake fine then the next time i slow down (just normal braking) this shaking starts, then it might keep happening or it might disappear all together! :? It's a real pain not to mention makes stopping properly very hard-kinda have to pump the brakes to come to a stop cause 1 continuos press causes too much shaking...............Anyone had/have this problem, or better yet solution? Or even what price is 2 new front discs?

babyeater690
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Steering Wheel Shake

Postby babyeater690 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:51 pm

ye id say it is warped discs but could also be ceased break caliper piston i had this problem on another car the seal around the piston lets a little water in and rusts the piston if its not the disc could be this hope this helps :D
Do De Donut :P!!!!!

Damok

Postby Damok » Mon May 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Is the car pulling to one side or anything like that under breaking. . Did you hit any hard bumps the last few days
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

raffo
Altezza Guru

Postby raffo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:04 pm

no not really pulling at all, just shaking. Never hit any deep bumps while i had it but jap owner possibly could. Just puzzling me the way it only happens some of the time, not all

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Could be front arm bushings only way to check this is to put the car up on the lift to check.

raffo
Altezza Guru

Postby raffo » Mon May 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Evelyn wrote:Could be front arm bushings only way to check this is to put the car up on the lift to check.

would this not cause knocking or something while driving?

Alex-evita
Altezza Guru

Postby Alex-evita » Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 pm

i think its a calliper(stuck)
do it once and do it right !!!

spudz86
Trc On!

Postby spudz86 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Alex-evita wrote:i think its a calliper(stuck)

this would cause the car to swerve fairly noticably, my calliper seized about 2 months ago and warped the disc while it was stuck when i was drivin down the motorway and lightly pressed the brakes the centre barrier would get very close very fast!!!! now i just get a slight wobble in the steering when i tap on the brakes due to the slight warp, from what your saying a badly warped disc would cause a large vibration but it would be at it constantly. a wheel bearing issue would also be a concern and finally do you have grooved discs because a pebble in the wrong place would play havoc there!
220 horses and 1 ass!

raffo
Altezza Guru

Postby raffo » Mon May 03, 2010 11:10 pm

no, all standard brakes and suspension...........surely if it was a suspension fault i'd have more noises etc from it?

spudz86
Trc On!

Postby spudz86 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 pm

dunno how altezzas react to this but if you pull the fuse out of the anything but stop (ABS) it should turn it off and at least rule that out of the puzzle
220 horses and 1 ass!

raffo
Altezza Guru

Postby raffo » Tue May 04, 2010 12:03 am

ooooooo that's not a bad idea! :wink: must try that. Leaving it with a local mechanic on thursday to have a recon ps pump fitted so will see if he'll have a look - just worried cause my girlfriend is starting to use it going to college and she ain't used to it like i am - ya know the way we all know every little quirt of our own cars

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue May 04, 2010 9:18 pm

raffo wrote:
Evelyn wrote:Could be front arm bushings only way to check this is to put the car up on the lift to check.

would this not cause knocking or something while driving?

Not necessary

babyeater690
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby babyeater690 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

na mate dont think its a bush at all id just pull the wheel of take off the calliper and have a look not a real big job to have a look could save you money on garage costs can you even tell what wheel is giving the trouble

raffo
Altezza Guru

Postby raffo » Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 pm

seems to be the left wheel, but very very hard to tell. Drove her all day and it's perfect again.......for now

babyeater690
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby babyeater690 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:51 pm

ye mate id defo take the wheel off and the caliper and have a look sounds just like the problem i had with my legacy and i fixed that with a bit of elbow grease and copper grease on the caliper piston it came and whent somedays otherdays not a bother after sanding it down and lubing it up it was 100%

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”