Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Cleaning MAF sensor

Section for all helpful how-to's related to Altezzas
Forum rules
This forum is now a closed section, it is purely for reference on how to do work on your Altezza. If you have a query please post in the relative section.
Richie_c
Altezza Guru

Cleaning MAF sensor

Postby Richie_c » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:10 pm

I've heard a lot about this in relation to people doing it and the car running smoother so I want to do it myself, nothing wrong with the car but seeing as it seems to help so many people no harm in doing it I figure. There was a write up on how to do it somewhere but I cant find it, anyone know where it is or care to rewrite it for me so I can go ahead with it
300 rwhp thanks to

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Re: Cleaning MAF sensor

Postby Shane M » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Hey Richie this is where i got my info from when i cleaned mine, just make sure you only use contact cleaner and dont touch the sensor wires with anything ! It only takes about 15 mins :D
http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezza ... topic=2050

This is the cleaner that i bought, i think it was about €12 in total... Although im sure theres a product that can be bought locally, im just too lazy to go out to a shop hehe
:wink: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/p-3640- ... 05110.aspx

It made quite a difference on mine improving the pull and solving a slight flat spot i had, also it made it loads smoother when the valves open up :)

alimac
Trc Off

Postby alimac » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:31 am

98 RS200z 6MT

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 am

I looked at mine thinking it couldnt be that dirty but it was manky dirty I didnt have the right stuff to clean it but I will go at it again

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Postby Altezzahead » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 pm

I've asked 2 mechanics about this and none of them want to attempt it saying it could f**k up the car but i do think mine is prob manky , is it ok to do yourself?

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Yeah should be ok to try yourself, just take your time and be VERY gentle when cleaning it. If you make a balls of it I have 2 dirty MAF sensors lying around somewhere (i got a new one).

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Postby Altezzahead » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 pm

KaTaLy5t wrote:Yeah should be ok to try yourself, just take your time and be VERY gentle when cleaning it. If you make a balls of it I have 2 dirty MAF sensors lying around somewhere (i got a new one).

ok thanks.. is it easy enough to buy Maf Sensor Cleaner in local Auto Factors?

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:20 pm

You should try to get "contact cleaner". If you look in a post further up the page there should be some info on it.

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Postby Shane M » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Altezzahead wrote:
KaTaLy5t wrote:Yeah should be ok to try yourself, just take your time and be VERY gentle when cleaning it. If you make a balls of it I have 2 dirty MAF sensors lying around somewhere (i got a new one).

It's very easy to do mate takes about 10 mins... Just take your time if you're not sure, but once the maf is out you just squirt all the crap off with the cleaner :)

The link i posted is where i got mine from if you cant be arsed going to the shop, it took less than a week to come.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/p-3640- ... 05110.aspx

or if you're down the Limerick/Ennis area at all, i'll do it for you no bother :)

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Postby Altezzahead » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:43 am

Shane M wrote:
Altezzahead wrote:

It's very easy to do mate takes about 10 mins... Just take your time if you're not sure, but once the maf is out you just squirt all the crap off with the cleaner :)

The link i posted is where i got mine from if you cant be arsed going to the shop, it took less than a week to come.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/p-3640- ... 05110.aspx

or if you're down the Limerick/Ennis area at all, i'll do it for you no bother :)

Nice one Shane , I'll try to pick up contact cleaner and should be around sat , I'll Pm you tomorrow(fri) .thanks again

Return to “How-Tos”