Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Lexus pricing & Tax bands after 1st July2008

General discussions about other Lexus models
Noel

Lexus pricing & Tax bands after 1st July2008

Postby Noel » Tue May 27, 2008 6:07 pm

:shock:

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Tue May 27, 2008 7:00 pm

Some fairly big changes there :shock: :shock:

I wonder what this will do to the market? I know it probably won't bother the likes of people buying Range Rovers and stuff like that cause money wouldn't be a big issue but how will it affect the sale of regular cars where the extra couple of thousand could put people off buying??

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue May 27, 2008 7:14 pm

KaTaLy5t wrote:Some fairly big changes there :shock: :shock:

I wonder what this will do to the market? I know it probably won't bother the likes of people buying Range Rovers and stuff like that cause money wouldn't be a big issue but how will it affect the sale of regular cars where the extra couple of thousand could put people off buying??

I think it will mean a big swing towards diesels in the average-family saloon market. Even more so when they get the supply issues sorted out that are pushing diesel prices so high.
Which is annoying really, as CO2 alone is not a good measure of what's bad for the environment. Diesels produce much more particulates, which end up as smog. This is even more the case for cars that are badly maintained. I really hate being stuck behind some black-smoke spewing diesel heap, and far too often they're only a year or two old.

R.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue May 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Anyone who bought an IS220D last year will be fairly pissed off that a new one is 6000 cheaper and 300+ less in road tax..... This will also make a big hit on secondhand prices will have to drop a 8-9000 just to sell and they'll be in the old tax of 790 so less attractive as well...... i'd be disgusted :x

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Tue May 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Anyone who bought an IS220D last year will be fairly pissed off that a new one is 6000 cheaper and 300+ less in road tax..... This will also make a big hit on secondhand prices will have to drop a 8-9000 just to sell and they'll be in the old tax of 790 so less attractive as well...... i'd be disgusted Mad

I'd be goin mad about that! But then the opposite would be true for cars that the VRT and road tax is going up on??

Say you bought your car now and then the VRT and tax went up in July wouldn't it be worth more second hand?

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue May 27, 2008 7:57 pm

i don't know ... possibly as if VRT has gone up so will the road tax :wink:

alot of cars will die out altogether... like above IS250 manual old road tax is 899 in july it will be 2000..... :shock:

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue May 27, 2008 8:23 pm

Ya there will be a big shift for diesels now, it will make them harder to be got especially if you want new & japanese. The time limit for a diesel auris was about 6months....

Diesels produce much more particulates, which end up as smog

A study was done in england on this and it resulted in higher rates of asthma!!

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Tue May 27, 2008 11:15 pm

Yeah I'm just thinking will cars registered before July be worth more because they will still be on the old (cheaper) tax system. Take an Altezza for example?

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Wed May 28, 2008 7:15 am

KaTaLy5t wrote:Yeah I'm just thinking will cars registered before July be worth more because they will still be on the old (cheaper) tax system. Take an Altezza for example?

Definitely! All performance cars will, but that's as a result of the increased VRT for the moment. In the years to come, there will be a market for "pre-08" registered imported cars, who'll also attract the lower tax rate. That'll be where the biggest price differential will be. It will mean the difference between 700 odd euro a year as opposed to 2,000.

It's worth mentioning that the really big engined cars are already paying close to 1,500 euro road tax, so a jump to 2,000 isn't a huge amount. Another failure of this new system - the big, big guzzlers aren't being crucified like the cars around the 2.0l mark. If the same maths applied as ours (3.33x increase), they should be paying around 5,000 a year on the new system.

On the face of it, it sounds like a good idea for the environment. When you delve deeper you see it's all arseways. It doesn't target the most polluting vehicles, nor does it hit the biggest wasters of fuel.

After 08, if there is any imported performance car market left, it will be around buying small engines and turboing the sh*te out of them when they get here.

R.

Return to “Lexus IS200,IS220,IS250”