Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

intercoolr VS charge cooler

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Re: intercoolr VS charge cooler

Postby Tosh21 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:12 am

no the car isnt finished yet just the pipes. still have loads to do hence the mess unfortunately. wont know how well its all gonna work as all the bits are different from what people normaly use butthe turbo choice was by owen developments. intercooler is pretty giant, only used it cos it was free and off of a wrc car so had efficient cooling in mind more than lag to be honest with such a quick spool im not too bothered about the lag. If it causes problems I can always cut it in half and made new end tanks for it. its quite large diameter too so more suited for high power really.

Just an idea on how you can run your pipes really, ive only ever seen them run under the car

cathal
Trc Off

Postby cathal » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Tosh21 wrote:no the car isnt finished yet just the pipes. still have loads to do hence the mess unfortunately. wont know how well its all gonna work as all the bits are different from what people normaly use butthe turbo choice was by owen developments. intercooler is pretty giant, only used it cos it was free and off of a wrc car so had efficient cooling in mind more than lag to be honest with such a quick spool im not too bothered about the lag. If it causes problems I can always cut it in half and made new end tanks for it. its quite large diameter too so more suited for high power really.

Just an idea on how you can run your pipes really, ive only ever seen them run under the car

so what turbo you runing? whats it rated for? as thats something ive to decide on yet, wel i dont want alot of lag i want spooling/pulling around 2500RPMS will also try get as mucj tourqe as i can, yeah its an idea for pipes but it dosent give clean look also wouldnt like to cut my lights maybe you dont have to idk, building a car is all full of ideas and working around things lols

what you done with powersteering?

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:43 pm

oh yea i did have to cut a bit out the lights actually. Theres a little brace panel on both sides which i cut out but that made the top really flimsy so the bonnet wouldnt shut, had to make a bar that goes all the way down to the middle of the front end top to bottom and holds everything sturdy.

It does look messy to be fair but most people have the inlet to the turbo go right across the engine bay and I think that ruins alot of the look, planning on a box of some sort to the bumper not sure yet.

Turbo is a GTX2867r. I think its a 67 anyway I cant remember now. Horrendously expensive though. Rated from 250 - about 475 i think. I think it needs a bigger exhaust housing to get to 475 though, I'm only looking to about 300.

Power steering is down where the A/C used to be. had to make a new reservoir, and relocate it. It whines like hell when hot though so looking to swap with an electric pump and maybe even relocate the pump and tank into the boot with new lines straight into the rack to leave that whole area free.

If you do decide to go a custom route I can tell you know it's about 10 times the work and a lot of hassle. I've moved so many things and made new bits it's taken me forever and cost me more. But I have a future proof set up for any bigger power gains and everything is how I want it as I get pretty picky with this kind of stuff.

Obviously you will need a bigger fuel pump, you can get a 320lph to fit in the original thing with a little bit of modding and make sure you get a sard jet pump killer because the standard one will not keep up, I kept getting fuel starvation once the gauge went to half a tank

cathal
Trc Off

Postby cathal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Tosh21 wrote:oh yea i did have to cut a bit out the lights actually. Theres a little brace panel on both sides which i cut out but that made the top really flimsy so the bonnet wouldnt shut, had to make a bar that goes all the way down to the middle of the front end top to bottom and holds everything sturdy.

It does look messy to be fair but most people have the inlet to the turbo go right across the engine bay and I think that ruins alot of the look, planning on a box of some sort to the bumper not sure yet.

Turbo is a GTX2867r. I think its a 67 anyway I cant remember now. Horrendously expensive though. Rated from 250 - about 475 i think. I think it needs a bigger exhaust housing to get to 475 though, I'm only looking to about 300.

Power steering is down where the A/C used to be. had to make a new reservoir, and relocate it. It whines like hell when hot though so looking to swap with an electric pump and maybe even relocate the pump and tank into the boot with new lines straight into the rack to leave that whole area free.

If you do decide to go a custom route I can tell you know it's about 10 times the work and a lot of hassle. I've moved so many things and made new bits it's taken me forever and cost me more. But I have a future proof set up for any bigger power gains and everything is how I want it as I get pretty picky with this kind of stuff.

Obviously you will need a bigger fuel pump, you can get a 320lph to fit in the original thing with a little bit of modding and make sure you get a sard jet pump killer because the standard one will not keep up, I kept getting fuel starvation once the gauge went to half a tank

i want to trt keep the bay as tidy as possible tho its proven hard lols
ive also consirdered an electic pump aswell im not sure was thinking of mounting it down where ac pump gos and runing a cooler to keep all happy

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”