Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Need help with head removal(engine in car)

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Cam2Tezza
Noob!

Need help with head removal(engine in car)

Postby Cam2Tezza » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:11 am

Hello, I'm trying to get the head off with the engine in the car. I thought I broke my timing belt when my tezza came to an abrupt halt, but later discovered that the oil pump pulley bolt had stripped, causing the pulley itself to come off, gouging the pump plate and it may have jumped timing so pretty much the same cause. I'm trying to check for damage before I spend money on any parts but it seems like a bad idea now, maybe should have replaced the pump and belt and checked for compression first, but I've removed the head bolts and theres no turning back. I can get the intake side of the head to lift but the exhaust side won't budge. This is most likely due to my power steering everything still in place. I've removed bolts that look like they hold the pump in place but I've only got it to move ever so slightly. Is it possible to remove the pump without disconnecting the lines? Also, I see another bolt holding a hose at the back of the head, exhaust side. Anything else I'm missing? Don't want to get the head to budge but tear wires along with it. I see a connector and a ground? wire just under the intake manifold.

I know I will get a pull the engine out first to make life easier suggestion but really would like to leave it in if possible. Please point out if I've missed anything. So I need a list of stuff/bolts I'd need to remove and advice on removing PS pump. Most 3sge head removal search results seem to be Celica related, so not too sure. I need to get this going cause there's this bird I suspect trying to build a nest everyday next to my battery, lol.

2000 3sge M/T

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Re: Need help with head removal(engine in car)

Postby Tosh21 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Yes the pas has to come off but stay connected. Look directly at the pulley from the front and there are 3 bolts, you can get in to undo them through the holes in the pulley then you gotta prise it off the bracket. It's quote a tight fit. There is stuff on the back of the head too, a water line into the head/oil cooler. Mine was a bit stuck too think it's the head gasket coating, I don't think anything but the head bolts hold the head down so it should come off and then you will see everything that needs to come off. There isn't really anything that's tight enough on there to be pulled out by accident. Oh, oil breather hose behind the manifold obviously needs to come off. It's really quite easy to do in the car, might be worth having a second person to lift if out though it's quite heavy

Cam2Tezza
Noob!

Postby Cam2Tezza » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks again Tosh, got the P/S bracket off today(bolt removal drives me nuts) and most of the head moves now, but the back near the firewall is still stuck, should just be a little more wiggling. Already have a few bolts that I've forgotten where they belong lol. Anyway appreciate your help as always. :D

Cam2Tezza
Noob!

Postby Cam2Tezza » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:08 am

Figured out that the coolant pipe running from water pump to throttle body has a bolt holding it in the back of the head. I forced the issue and going from no give I now have a lot of give, because the pipe is twisting. Hope I didn't break it :( Other than that the head should come off the next time I have time, lol.

Celica RA45
Trc Off

Postby Celica RA45 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:27 am

if you have stripped the oil pump pulley bolt and pulley has come off ,you have most likely damaged the mains and bigend bearings

Cam2Tezza
Noob!

Postby Cam2Tezza » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:19 am

Thanks Celica RA45, I'll drain the oil and see if I find what I hope not to find and go from there.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”