Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Engine wont start after overheat but head gasket looks ok

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Daz_Tezza
Noob!

Engine wont start after overheat but head gasket looks ok

Postby Daz_Tezza » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:51 pm

As simply as I can, this is what happened:
- The car overheated because all the water fell out of the radiator so fast it didnt register on the temp gauage
- i stopped the car when I heard a funny noise (maybe tappets?) and noticed the oil pressure was low (had to top it up with over 2L!)
- I left it off the road for 2 months while I used another car, then I changed the rad
- I had it booked in for a head gasket change because the water level visually rises even when engine is cold and the coolant looked bubbly
- While driving to the garage the car broke down after 1 mile!! I switched it off for a long set of lights and it wouldn't start again. The starter motor worked but the engine wouldn't kick into life. It sounded like at least one cylinder was trying to fire, but I suspected cylinders were flooded.
- The garage took the head off and they said the gasket hasn't blown as their aren't any visual signs on the gasket of blowing. I looked and saw only one spot on the block to suggest its blown. See pics. (At the time it overheated it had only water without coolant in the rad).

I'm afraid that if I pay him to skim the head and put it all back together, there's still a chance that it wont work because I dont know why the car would refuse to start. Only thing was there was quite a bit of rust on the bores, I guess because I left it for two months. I cleaned most of it off in the pics but cylinder 3 has a big lump of rust caked on there.

I'm not sure what to do :?

Daz_Tezza
Noob!

Re: Engine wont start after overheat but head gasket looks ok

Postby Daz_Tezza » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Original size images for more detail:

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”