Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Check Engine light that Diagnotics cant locate

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
kazza7544
Noob!

Check Engine light that Diagnotics cant locate

Postby kazza7544 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:14 am

Hi All! :D
Keri's my name. Newbie in the house!
I'm hoping that you guys can give me some ideas.
I have a 98 Altezza with a Beams engine.
I've wanted one for ages, bit the bullet last year and brought one and now it's gone to custard.
My check engine light has been coming on intermittently for about 3 months now. maybe once a week or every 2 weeks it will come on.
Took her in for a service at Vehicle Testing New Zealand and as a result have replaced my radiator and cooling system. We thought that would fix the problem as my hoses were feeling a bit aaah crunchy I guess you'd call it.
Didn't fix the problem. Took her into a transmission place who ran diagnostics and was told it was my Variable Timing, Late Start and o2 sensors that needed doing and my transmission was okay. This was from the diagnostics report.
Took it to an auto electrician who confirmed what the trans place had said by running their own diagnostics,replaced the o2 sensors with ones that were about $300 and genuine ones. One was cross threaded so they had to pull some stuff apart and put it back together to get it in. $1000 later I'm in my car get about 2k down the road and the light is on again.
Take it back and they cannot get anything to show up. They replaced some other stuff in the cam under the drivers side and thought that would fix it. But alas still getting the light coming on and diagnostics wont pic it up and says everything is fine. :?:
Here is what happens when the light comes on:
My revs go up
I lose power but can still accelerate, just at much higher revs
My gears almost slip I guess you could say, she doens't want to change up or down, but does just very delayed. When I pull over and throw her into park, she revs and then stays on about 2000rpm until she calms down and puts her toys back in the cot.
My temp gauge is showing completely normal
I've been told I need to "rock" my head and replace my seals as well as there is a small amount of oil getting into my spark plugs. That, I'm going to do this weekend.
Has anyone come across anything similar or have any ideas what can be causing this? It's a tiptronic gearbox if thats of any help.
I've already poured $2k into her and will obviously pay more if it gets the problem fixed but I dont want to have to completely overhaul the engine if someone can point me in a possible direction.
I hear you all know you're shizz so I thought I'd ask the people who know and love their Tezzas too!
Thanks
K

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Check Engine light that Diagnotics cant locate

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Cant really add to much to this that I can think of at the moment, other than odd idling and high revs could be due to an ecu reset or if the battery has been disconnected. If this is the case then it will settle down after a few days and getting a few miles on it. Mine revs high at idle and hunts around when coasting in neutral for a bit after the battery has been disconnected but is fine after a bit.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 pm

Go see Nick at North Shore Toyota.

Cleaning the maf sensor would be a good place to start if it hasn't already been done. (search on here or Altezzaclub.org.nz on how to do it)

kazza7544
Noob!

Postby kazza7544 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks Tom :D
We did the battery reset thing with it at the mechanics. The trick is to leave it sitting there for about 5-10 mins afterwards and just leave it and it adjusts itself till it's at the correct level.
The guy from Mashall Batteries taught me that one when he replaced my battery and then when the mechanic did it as well I guess it must be the way to go :)

Someone said to me that it may be a tiny hole in one of the hoses and it's not getting the right amount of pressure and revving higher to compensate?

kazza7544
Noob!

Postby kazza7544 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Soiled wrote:Go see Nick at North Shore Toyota.

Cleaning the maf sensor would be a good place to start if it hasn't already been done. (search on here or Altezzaclub.org.nz on how to do it)

Thanks Soiled! :) Will give him a call today.

kazza7544
Noob!

Postby kazza7544 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi All!
Well after flushes and pressure tests and buying cambelt, rocket cap and spark plug replacements and seals and water pump and tensioners....
We have come up with this conclusion.....The engine is coming out and a new one is going in. Tried a new computer in there and didn't help so it had to be something mechanical. Looks like the radiator and cooling system had flushed rust through everywhere.
Even with the new radiator and cooling system replacement, when they flushed they found rust......
My mechanic hadn't replaced the rusty radiator cap, the whole cooling system and radiator but not the rusty cap. Sheesh!
The good news is all the new parts can go into the engine and it's got 5k on the clock.
Let it never be said that chicks dont love their cars as much as the guys do! hahahahahaha
:D :lol:
Thanks all for the advice and pointing in the right direction. Tessy is currently having her trasnplant and will be home in time for the weekend!
Yippeee!

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”