Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Massive water leak

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
ricer
Noob!

Massive water leak

Postby ricer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:51 am

Hi guys.

I bought a 1991 JDM rs200 last week, and upon taking it for its first decently spirited drive, i noticed steam coming out of the bonnet. luckily i caught it before it fully cooked its self and the car still starts and runs beautifully. no water in oil etc.

i waited for the car to cool down and then topped the radiator off with water, and as it began to fill i could hear a steady stream of water coming from the exhaust side of the engine. Looking at diagrams i assumed i had either done the water outlet gasket or the thermostat o-ring. Had the car apart today and replaced both these parts. The outlet gasket looked mint but i replaced it anyway, and the thermostat o-ring had a large tear in it, so i figured this was problem solved.

Put it all back together and the car is still leaking water. less than before (i think the o ring has helped) but still a lot. I have narrowed it down to somewhere under the thermostat housing, but cant pinpoint it at this time.

are there any suggestions? From using the search function i've found a few mentions of frost plugs?

is that what this weird little thing under the thermo housing is? Image

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Massive water leak

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Id be very interested to see how u get on with this as Ive been running my car for a few weeks now and topping up with water every day! Its starting to leak more now but trying to keep it going until I finish building my garage so I can take things apart easier and have a good look! Its a bugger to see what is happening cos the exhaust manifold is in the way from above and the engine mount is in the way from underneath but seems to be in that area!

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:43 am

There is coolant pipe running along both sides of the engine and the back it could be from there. They are mostly metal I assume it's to protect it from the exhaust but there is a few rubber joins it might have just perished over time or somethin.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=13306&start=60

Scroll down and you'll see where I teed off with an AN fitting in the middle of the block. All of that is always full of coolant. you can follow it towards the front of the block where it disappears behind stuff, I think t goes into the oil filter housing to cool the oil.

If it's coming out that side of the engine it can only be along there somewhere unless you didn't tighten the stat up all the way or got the o ring slightly wrong or something.

Just noticed you mentioned core plugs. Best thing to do is just fire it up (manifold off if it's in the way) and have a look. The core plugs will leak even when cold as there is always water in your block. just don't get your face too close to the head it can spit some random flames with no manifold.

You'll see coolant leak from a core plug even when the car is off but with it running it will be more obvious

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:26 am

So is a frost plug the same as what I would call a core plug? Pretty sure my leak isnt from them because like Tosh says, it would leak all the time and mine doesnt.

Ricer - can you point my towards which gasket that you mean please? I know the O ring that you mean but not sure which gasket. Where did you buy them from too please? Have you ruled out the head gasket.

Its such a bugger to see anything but I might try to get hold of another rad cap as mine is slightly damaged anyway. I can then drill the old one out and put a valve on so that I can pressurise the system easier and see what I can see without the engine running.

Is it mega loud to run the car without the exhaust manifold, Tosh?

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:21 pm

Yea Iv'e always called a core plug too but its the same thing.

It's not as loud as you think but yea it is pretty damn loud. Sounds weird too. It only really fires a flame if you touch the throttle but I would still be careful not to put your head too close to there. Plus the gas is obviously harmful so don't want to be pocking about right next to the exhaust ports breathing in the fumes for ages

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:43 am

Haha!

The issue I have is that its really hard to get it warm enough to leak while it is sat on the drive. I tried last night cos I had the car up on axle stands anyway (I'll post a thread about that next!!) and kept it running for 15mins or so and revved it up a few times but just couldnt get it hot enough to leak!

Think my best bet is to get a spare rad cap and drill my old one out so I can fit a valve and pump the pressure up to see if I can get it to leak that way ;) But I need to find someone who has a spare rad cap first! LOL

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:37 pm

Bit odd that it does it only when really hot. Aren't rad caps pretty universal?

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:37 am

Apparently not mate! All the ones I have, the large rubber bit is slightly too big and doesnt squash down enough to allow the cap to go on. Also the Altezza one has an extra smaller diameter rubber bit that seals down inside that all other caps I have dont have!

I found the source of my water leak though - and it was so silly and a massive school boy error!

I got home last night and it wasnt leaking but thought Id keep the engine running, monitor the coolant temperature on Torque and get it hot in the hope it would leak. Meanwhile, jacking the front of the car up so I could look at ball joint but also get under to find the leak.

Well about 5 mins later it started and luckily was leaking quite a bit so I could tell it was coming from under a heat sheild which protects the water pipe round (to the thermostat/oil cooler) from the exhaust manifold.

So I cracked on with the ball joint to then let everything cool and then removed the exhaust manifold.

This is the heatshield:
(you can see where the water has been running and stained the top of the engine mount to bottom left of photo)

And here is what I found underneath:

Spot the difference with how it should look! LOL:

No it shouldnt be more blurred but it should have the clips on the hose in the right places!! LOL I took photos of every single bolt and clip I took off the car/engine when I lifted the engine out but thinking back, this must have been when I already had the engine out and was cleaning things up. I intended to take the hose off to clean it out but Dad said not to worry and crack on with getting the engine sorted to go back in so I must have walked away and then put the cover back over it at later date and completely forgot to put the hose clamps on!!! Doh! So it has been heating up and causing the water to leak out of sight under that cover and under the exhaust manifold and get slowiy worse! Luckily it didnt completely blow the hose off and give me a massive overheating issue!!!

While I've got things in bits and heading to get a new balljoint tonight, i have decided to get a new and slightly longer bit of heater hose to replace it and then also put the clips and a couple of jubilee clips on for good measure! LOL

I doubt this is your issue mate but thought I would post it up just in case you did a similar thing when replacing the thermostat O ring etc (though I doubt you would be as stupid as I was! LOL)

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Lol that's epic!

ricer
Noob!

Postby ricer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:25 am

thanks for the help guys, cars being a bit of a nightmare at the moment. took the stat housing back apart and the thermostat had fallen out of its perch, and as i'd tightened it i had ripped the seal, so back to toyota for another one. also, as i was undoing the back nut, the stud snapped. Yaaaay.

Managed to unthread the left over stud without drilling it thankfully, got a o ring, new stud, and put it back together today.

The leak is much, much smaller, and now not coming from stat housing, but still there :evil:

i've come to the conclusion that unless it is a break in the steel hardline coming from the back of the waterpump, it has to be a frost plug. i took a few videos today and it looks really corroded and there is definitely water coming from it.

not sure if i should admit defeat and just take it to a shop or persevere and deal with my grumpy 9 months pregnant partner moaning about how i bought a POS.
Last edited by ricer on Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ricer
Noob!

Postby ricer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:33 am

RS Tom-Hundred wrote:
Ricer - can you point my towards which gasket that you mean please? I know the O ring that you mean but not sure which gasket. Where did you buy them from too please? Have you ruled out the head gasket.

I replaced the water outlet gasket, which is the part at the top of the engine where the top radiator hose joins the head, and the o ring for the stat housing. it wasn't leaking but i had already bought the part and was just ruling things out from the top down. I bought them from my local toyota dealer, they were about nzd$15 each. Im 90% sure its not the head as the engine is running perfectly, and there is no water in the oil. plus i can see the leak coming down the side of the block, and if it was spewing that much from the head gasket i would expect massive amounts of steam out the exhaust, running on three cylinders etc.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:45 pm

doesnt the engine have to come out for a core plug replacement?

ricer
Noob!

Postby ricer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Just an update.

turns out im a muppet and didnt tighten my water outlet up properly and thats where my secondary leak was coming from. Have now put the car back together full and its holding fluid YAY!!!

Before i go for a drive though i need to flush the coolant system and the power steering fluid. Can anyone tell me the size in litres of each system, and what fluids i need to use.

Cheers homies

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:00 pm

glad its nothing major!

heres all the info you need

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 am

Glad its sorted and an easy fix :)

While we are on the subject of fluid capacities, does anyone know the capacity of the brake fluid and how much I would need to bleed it all out and replace it please?

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”