Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Hesitation, I'm stumped

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
black007
Noob!

Hesitation, I'm stumped

Postby black007 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:44 am

Greetings!

I've recently bought a RS200 and I'm having the hardest time revving it above a certian RPM (about 3000, and it has a hard time reaching 3000 even with any load). It has a verry bad hesitation. If I floor the car in 1st it is very jerky. The car idles perfectly. I'll list what I have done, any other suggestions would be great!

Checked for vaccum leaks (there was none)
cleaned MAF (I've had 4 toyotas to date, problem on all of them lol)
Cleaned throttle body
cleaned the whole intake system
checked the coils (unpluged on idle, all of them are working atleast on idle)
checked injectors (in the same fashion as the coils)
I have no CEL
Can not get my scan tool to connect to the car to verify lack of CEL (Innova 3100)
I will note that the exhaust gets hot if I run the car on the highway. It has some 'after smoke' and it got hot enough to melt my bumper a little bit. I'm assuming it is running lean based on this, not rich. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really am stumped.

-Andrew

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Hesitation, I'm stumped

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Wed May 27, 2015 9:54 am

I think there is a way to check the coils with a multimeter and I think that would be my next check that I would do.

Also might be worth checking fuel pressure and maybe a compression test to rule things out?

black007
Noob!

Postby black007 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:26 pm

Alright, good call on the multi meter. what readings should I be getting to diagnose a bad coil?

I'll get on this when I can!

I will try and check that the pump is good, and that the internal filter is not clogged or anything. When I received the car, I'm sure as most of you have, there was barley enough fuel to start the car. I'm wondering if it is a pump issue?

wenguin
Trc On!

Postby wenguin » Wed May 27, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm not 100% on measuring the coils - do they need to be in car running, or can they be independently tested for example.

Plugs are okay?

You can use an OBD2 scanner for some basic checks. I use a bluetooth one with Torque that allows you to add an initialization string with the settings needed for the non-standard OBD/OBD2 implementation in the SXE10:

ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8213F0 \n ATSP4 \n 0100

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:32 pm

I had a bosch 44 in mine and had constant issues like you say. Lots of hesitation and it would judder under acceleration sometimes. no cel but did come up with fuel trim too lean. fuel pressure never dropped even when it misfired so that wont indicate much, you could check it to make sure its right though. I changed to a different pump and it transformed the car! no hesitation and pulls well. I'd be checking the pump and filter etc just make sure there isn't anything weird going on in there, if you can do without the pump get it tested by someone

black007
Noob!

Postby black007 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Alright I've got the issue fixed now. It was a mass airflow sensor! :) the car is really amazing. Such a fun car to drive I am very happy with the purchase.

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Excellent! Glad you got it sorted! :)

black007
Noob!

Postby black007 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:12 am

Thanks man! The car really is amazing once it runs perfect. By far my favorite vehicle ive ever owned!

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”