Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Almost an Altezza owner :)

Please post up a quick introduction about yourself here first before posting in any of the other sections. Enjoy the site
Rikochet
Trc On!

Almost an Altezza owner :)

Postby Rikochet » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Just placed a deposit on my first Altezza today. I've wanted one for years but never really had the funds/space for a 2nd car. Ended up with a 1 UK owner 1998 SXE10 RS200 Auto in silver (gold?). I'm not picking up the car for a week or so as I'm in Perth, Scotland and the car is in the E. Midlands so no photos yet until it's on my drive! I do have a couple of questions for you all though.

The first question is about road tax. The car was imported in 2004, so will I have to pay the pre 2001 tax rate or the post 2001 rate since it was first registered in the UK in 2004 but built in 1998?

Second is mileage. The car was converted to MPH at some point after import. Does this mean the mileage shown will be a mix of miles and KM/just KM/just miles? I'm not too fussed as it was cheap but it would be nice to know.
Last edited by Rikochet on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Almost an Altezza owner :)

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Welcome to the club :)

Not 100% sure on the tax but should be ok as mine is a 2000 V reg car and imported in 2004 too and it is on the old tax system and currently paying the circa £230 a year.

Also, if yours is like mine, the ODO was converted to miles from kms when it was imported and so some are miles and some are kms. Cant remember the exact maths but I remember it was a bit of a head getting it straight in my mind! LOL In the case of mine though, it means that whatever my ODO says I take off about 15k to give true miles :) Think it had done around 30k in Japan as kms if I remember right.

Rikochet
Trc On!

Postby Rikochet » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:17 am

RS Tom-Hundred wrote:Welcome to the club :)

Not 100% sure on the tax but should be ok as mine is a 2000 V reg car and imported in 2004 too and it is on the old tax system and currently paying the circa £230 a year.

Also, if yours is like mine, the ODO was converted to miles from kms when it was imported and so some are miles and some are kms. Cant remember the exact maths but I remember it was a bit of a head getting it straight in my mind! LOL In the case of mine though, it means that whatever my ODO says I take off about 15k to give true miles :) Think it had done around 30k in Japan as kms if I remember right.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I'll be the same for tax which is good I suppose. Hate paying road tax though the roads around here are a state and I like my cars low :cry:

Hmm thats not so good about the ODO though, I hope mines is more KM than miles at 150,000 but chances are that it's a lot higher than the 95,000 miles I was told by the dealer. Ah who cares anyway, it's a bit of cheap fun not an investment!!

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:38 am

Yeah, I think the days are long gone where the tax actually gets spent on the roads to be honest!

Could be true mate, but only if the ODO hasnt been converted to miles. Are you sure it has? If it is reading in kilometres then 150,000 is 93,205miles.
The only way it could be as low mileage as he claims if it has been converted is if it was converted only a few thousand miles back and most of the ODO reading is kms but last few are miles! Not sure if that will be the case if it has been here since 2004 though!

If it is a high miler then be careful as mine has done around 135k miles and Ive now got it in bits cos a big end bearing has gone and potentially more damage when i open it up more to look inside :( (There is a thread on here in the engine section just look for "Engine Knocking/Rattle")

Rikochet
Trc On!

Postby Rikochet » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:32 pm

The speedo on the pics I have looks to be exactly like your profile picture so I assume it's the same!

Rikochet
Trc On!

Postby Rikochet » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:34 pm

RS Tom-Hundred wrote:Yeah, I think the days are long gone where the tax actually gets spent on the roads to be honest!

Could be true mate, but only if the ODO hasnt been converted to miles. Are you sure it has? If it is reading in kilometres then 150,000 is 93,205miles.
The only way it could be as low mileage as he claims if it has been converted is if it was converted only a few thousand miles back and most of the ODO reading is kms but last few are miles! Not sure if that will be the case if it has been here since 2004 though!

If it is a high miler then be careful as mine has done around 135k miles and Ive now got it in bits cos a big end bearing has gone and potentially more damage when i open it up more to look inside :( (There is a thread on here in the engine section just look for "Engine Knocking/Rattle")

I had a look through your thread the other day actually. Surely that's just a good excuse to put something a bit more tasty in the bay?

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:12 pm

Haha! i would love to but Im happy with the standard power and it is my daily driver so need to be getting above 25MPG or so!

Your gauges are similar to mine but you have the extra panel in the bottom right with the gear indicator and presumably digital speed too? Did the previous owner specifically say the clocks had been converted cos maybe they are still reading in kms? Have you got a speed indicator on your sat nav so you can check that the speed shown on your dash is the actual speed you are going in mph?

Rikochet
Trc On!

Postby Rikochet » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 pm

RS Tom-Hundred wrote:Haha! i would love to but Im happy with the standard power and it is my daily driver so need to be getting above 25MPG or so!

Your gauges are similar to mine but you have the extra panel in the bottom right with the gear indicator and presumably digital speed too? Did the previous owner specifically say the clocks had been converted cos maybe they are still reading in kms? Have you got a speed indicator on your sat nav so you can check that the speed shown on your dash is the actual speed you are going in mph?

I haven't picked the car up yet and to be honest the guy usually deals with £20K cars so he didn't really seem to care either way. I tried to ask him about 20 questions but at the end of the day it's just a cheap Part X so I'll take my chances with it. If it's all KM it's a bonus. If it's not then hopefully it did a fair bit of the 150K in KM in Japan. I expect it will be a mix of the 2 but I'm not bothered as long as it's clean and runs well. There's seemingly a stack of paperwork with it so hopefully I'll be able to see if/when it was converted. I'll soon know either way as I'm booking my flight tomorrow :)

Rikochet
Trc On!

Postby Rikochet » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:30 pm

Rikochet wrote:
RS Tom-Hundred wrote:Haha! i would love to but Im happy with the standard power and it is my daily driver so need to be getting above 25MPG or so!

Yes I meant that we both have the little black square over the K in K/M/H. Would be nice if it is a digital ODO but I think it's more likely that it will be something else.

I haven't picked the car up yet and to be honest the guy usually deals with £20K cars so he didn't really seem to care either way. I tried to ask him about 20 questions but at the end of the day it's just a cheap Part X so I'll take my chances with it. If it's all KM it's a bonus. If it's not then hopefully it did a fair bit of the 150K in KM in Japan. I expect it will be a mix of the 2 but I'm not bothered as long as it's clean and runs well.

There's seemingly a stack of paperwork with it so hopefully I'll be able to see if/when it was converted. I'll soon know either way as I'm booking my flight tomorrow :)

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:29 am

Oh yeah! I see what you mean! I really wanna find some tape the same colour as the dash ring to cover the K but its a weird silver/bronze that will be hard to match! LOL

If it has been converted it will probably have been done when it came over here and if that wa 2004 then its likely it might be similar mileage to mine but hopefully it will be a sweet runner and no issues either way mate. Keep us updated and post some photos when you have it with you :)

SilTezza
Altezza Guru

Postby SilTezza » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:52 am

welcome

Rikochet
Trc On!

Postby Rikochet » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:06 pm

After a flight, a bus, a tram and a 5 hour drive my Tezza is home! A few issues with the garage I bought it from which I won't get into too much on here until some sort of resolution is reached with them but (apart from having no bloody MOT) the car itself seems pretty honest so I'm happy.

A lot of work to be done starting with a good clean and polish, wheels desperately need refurbished and probably a good service at the very least.

Mines is a tiptronic so I found it difficult to drive in anger to start off with but as the day went by I adjusted my driving style and started to get more out of it. It had an engine fitted last year which didn't skip a beat all the way up the road. Thought I was only doing about 60mph until I looked down at the gauges!!!

Pictures tomorrow :wink:

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Nice one :) Glad you have got hold of it now and cant wait to see photos of it once you have given it the once over :)

Rikochet
Trc On!

Postby Rikochet » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Rikochet
Trc On!

Postby Rikochet » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Since I got it home I've cleaned the MAF sensor (which made no difference at all until I remembered I should also reset the ECU). It seems to pick up a bit quicker now and has more even power through the rev range. I've also dropped a litre of oil out of it as whoever serviced it for the garage I bought it from was clearly on drugs.

As well as that I've stripped all the carpet out of the boot, then cleaned and shampooed it all and put it all back together. I also shaved the furry cloth on the drivers seat with some electric hair clippers. I should have taken pictures as it makes a huge difference!

Plans for the rest of the week are -

Wheel refurbishment
MOT
Lowering slightly on the Tein coilovers
Proper interior valet
Tinting rear lights

Plans for the car in general are changing on a daily basis but so far -

Address the poor low down acceleration. Didn't realise how heavy and cumbersome the Altezza actually is until I drove it for the first time. It doesn't need much but I definitely think a turbo is in order. No danger I'm paying more than I did for the car for a kit though so it'll be a pikey low blow turbo for me.

Tidy up a few minor scrapes and dings on the body

Get the Panasonic DVD Sat Nav and Digital TV box removed and replace it all with something a bit more modern and basic. Going to wire in my sat nav so I have something pretty to pop up out of the dash though.

Greddy lip spoiler in black

So all in all a simple exercise in daily driver enthusiasm. Don't want 400BHP, mental stance or a showroom finish. I just want to end up with something that looks clean, sounds nice (inside and out) and has enough power to annoy a few of the local boy racers but still be an old mans 5AT.

Return to “Newbies - Check-in here!!”