Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

A JDM Daily driver.

Once you've introduced yourself why not throw up a few pictures of your car or a project thread?
Gojira san
Trc On!

Re: A JDM Daily driver.

Postby Gojira san » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Okay, so the company i bought my 'Tezza from are dragging their heels :twisted: . - no reason i should.
so this bad boy is mine.
http://www.upgarage.com/upgarage/stock/ ... 191?size=m

i can live with a few scratches, because this car is going to get a few more. :lol:
it will go on within the hour of getting the keys. the coilovers, and soon aquired strut braces will be 1 week later.

once winter ends, big wheels go on, panels get tweaked to fit. and it will be perfect. (even with "mates rates" this guy costs money, and his work is unparalelled) the appointment has been made. 8)

a new contact can source parts. to get the Turbo aspects rolling.(intercooler,BOV,etc) might go with an S13 intercooler kit from "Blitz" and make it work......or get a similar kit used. with advice from my Guru, i will be doing this on my own. apart from the manifold and welding. it will be as i want. i'm sure you guys understand, it has to be right.

I wanted to do the Greddy kit to get started, but have seen the light , and at game time i will have to shell out for a "Apexi power fc" which my Guru rejects, because they need a MAF sensor. but i can't afford the HKS unit.

it is what it is. building a car on the cheap means you gotta make do.

in the next few days???? pics of all the stuff i got ready, and my basic ride when it finally gets delivered. then the fun starts. :wink:

banan1984
Altezza Guru

Postby banan1984 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:44 pm

You are sooooo lucky that you can go to that web and browse for stuff that is very cheap!!
D700 / RS200

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Anybody can :D , they ship worldwide.

but it can be annoying, we just called them, and put money in the mail. if you want to buy? go for it.
but i recommend yahoo japan instead. or your local parts dealer. joining up is a lot harder than it should be.

and thanks, the whole reason for this thread is to build my car as cheap as possible. to get the best from every dollar.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:36 pm

Power fc can run on a map sensor.

Mine is all fully custom and it's a bit of a pain in the ass trying to make something with parts you have lying about and anything you can get for cheap which isn't designed for the car. Like if I sold my whole setup it wouldn't fit in a other car without mods and moving stuff about.

Shame you didn't start this sooner I could have made you a copy of my inconel manifold! Had loads of stainless lying about at the time so woulda been cheap.

I wouldn't vother with the greeddy kit for such a turbo and set up. If your upratting the top why not do the bottom and do a big build with high boost etc.

I used to have a trust backbox they do sound pretty good! Nicely made too, machine welded so looks real nice

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks Tosh. yeah, the Power fc is what i will most likely go with, but my Guru prefers to work with the HKS, because it can run without a maf sensor. (and he is a HKS dealer, so he knows the software better)

i understand it will be a hassle to get it all done, but i have been assured it will be fine, because i know what parts i need to get. and some clever guys are going to help me make it work. in our last chat at my friends workshop, we threw around the idea of going "All in" and doing pistons, rods, and increasing capacity, but i feel pretty good about the bottom end, and will hopefully keep it stock, using a Apexi metal head gasket. but i'm not ruling out a full build for big power in the future. 8)

i had a Trust muffler on my old car, and like you said, they really do sound good. and are a quality product. i wanted to try something different, but it was just sooo cheap. i couldn't think of a reason to pay double for the Kakimoto i was looking at. so, why not?
the centre pipe is where it will get interesting. because one will cost about $450-$600.
the stocker looks good as is, but a "humming" from the exhaust is annoying, and i'm optimistic that the rear muffler will fix that. as always, in the end, all the parts will be upgraded, but one at a time.......

almost time to break out the toolbox.... :mrgreen:

JZZ30
Trc On!

Postby JZZ30 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Whats up mate? Any updates? Project started strong...

reinaldo
Noob!

Postby reinaldo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:17 am

Gojira san wrote:so, i went to see my tire/wheel guy. said i need wheels for an Altezza. he says "lets look in the auto parts warehouse" 8)
Bam! found these....
10930158_364640800386003_1703149802712542064_n.jpg

Work VS "vf" 18x7 -45 front, 18x9 -38 rears. with a little tweaking, these will do the job. and i thought the way my fit dude put the tires on would be interesting for you guys. he's been doing this since the 80's.
10922501_364641117052638_4286343191819689633_n.jpg

he inflates the tires a little. then sees if it grabs right. note the insane rim width and 225 tire..
10942439_364642077052542_3120285856078635801_n.jpg

having no luck, i joke about gas and a lighter, he says no, i can do better. and pulls out a bicycle tube that's semi inflated. my eyes were glued to what he was doing next.........

Same here. I'm really targeting an 18x9 setup since I bought some new tires to go with it. Although, I can't pull-in any DIY right now, been too busy lately :D

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi Everybody,

I started a new job, with a premier tuning company here in Japan (not telling) . working with former "JUN" engineers.Yes, THEM. 8) everything i do will be learnt and/or tested on the Altezza. so some interesting stuff is in the works, like the wheel fitment, suspension setup, drivetrain, and most importantly, THE ENGINE. :D the idea being that i don't 'eff up any customer cars.

so as of today? i've had issues with the front feeling "light", and it always kicking out to the left. (it's winter here). so first up? a 2 way LSD. and getting my coilovers setup. i'm thinking of having the front a bit lower. and running lower PSI in my winter tires. it's like the unpredictable auto jolts me out of traction. -when your car scares you? open the toolbox.......... :lol: so, reluctantly, the MT will happen.

The LSD will be here in a few days, and the suspension will be next, with wheel fitment at the start of spring. the Cusco aluminium and carbon front brace is here and ready to fit. so that will go in too.

after talking with my Boss, and colleagues. they have steered me away from the big turbo. saying a "less is more" approach will give me better responce when navigating through traffic on the way to work. and better track times. so options are a quad throttle setup, with serious internal engine mods, or valve springs and a blitz supercharger kit. with my boss being a pro in regards to N/A racing engines? i'll trust his input. while my guru will be disappointed, i spend more time in traffic than at the drag strip.

it's strange how you can start a build with one idea, and have the car go in a whole other direction. :shock:
the good news for you guys is that many pictures of all the action will be posted here. before and afters, and any one-off mods also.

stay tuned. this build is only getting started.

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Nice one! Cant wait to see this unfold :)

Can you get some new photos posted up now you have the car? ;)

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:05 pm

My plans change pretty much everyday so i know how you feel :P lol as for the 2 way, I'd suggest a 1.5 to be honest. Ive got a cusco 1.5 and it is incredibly rough I couldn't deal with it being a 2 way. It works brilliantly but when i park i have to rev it high, pop the clutch a little and quickly press it back down so the diff dissenages, bit of a pain in the ass really.

Also I've got a set of throttle bodies of an AE111 which will fit with an adapter plate if you want em. I was going to fit them and boost but it's a huge job, might revisit the idea in the future

Return to “Member's Cars / Projects”