Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Help needed drift car

Anything related to cars
Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Help needed drift car

Postby Trd Shane » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Ok guys I need help deciding what car to get for a track day drift car

I am building a drift car this year and want your guys input ..
If you had a choice which car would you choose

An Altezza
Or
S body nissan

Engine I will be using is the 2jz gte

I just want input for what body is the best suited for the track
As in which has the best parts available

I really want to do an Altezza 2jz because most drift cars you see majority are s body nissans and I'm kinda thinking that's for a reason ???

I don't know anything about s bodies so any help would be great

Long story short which car would you choose ??

Thanks guys :)
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

mk2glenn
Trc Off

Re: Help needed drift car

Postby mk2glenn » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:48 pm

S body is far easier to get all parts for, to be honest they're not comparable at all in that way. Are you planning on just doing practice days or competition?

Is it your first drift car?

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:53 pm

mk2glenn wrote:S body is far easier to get all parts for, to be honest they're not comparable at all in that way. Are you planning on just doing practice days or competition?

Is it your first drift car?

Yeah is my first drift at and I want it for competitions hopefully if I get that far

But I love the look of the Altezza but Ino there's not a lot of suspensions parts and arms in comparison to a s body ... But you hardly ever see Altezza drift car there less common

What would you go for ??

mk2glenn
Trc Off

Postby mk2glenn » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Why would you need a 2JZ for your first drift car? It'll cost you at least 4 grand to get a 2JZ into either car and thats if you do most of the work yourself, never mind building the rest of the car.

A standard engined Altezza will slide will enough especially set up right with the right diff aswell. Or a basic spec S body Nissan. Both of which could be bought for less than the price of a 2JZ conversion alone.

My advice is not to worry about anything near that level and get a cheap car like an E36 BMW and do a few days. For all you know, you could hate it and not click with the driving style needed at all. Then go from there but l don't see why you think you need a 2J before even doing a drift day.

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:02 pm

mk2glenn wrote:Why would you need a 2JZ for your first drift car? It'll cost you at least 4 grand to get a 2JZ into either car and thats if you do most of the work yourself, never mind building the rest of the car.

A standard engined Altezza will slide will enough especially set up right with the right diff aswell. Or a basic spec S body Nissan. Both of which could be bought for less than the price of a 2JZ conversion alone.

My advice is not to worry about anything near that level and get a cheap car like an E36 BMW and do a few days. For all you know, you could hate it and not click with the driving style needed at all. Then go from there but l don't see why you think you need a 2J before even doing a drift day.

Ino I'm mad
I currently have a Altezza turbo and wanted a drift car but really want a 2jz
Money is not a issue I just don't want to do things twice so I was gonna get 2jz and leave it stock power then upgrade as I need it ??

mk2glenn
Trc Off

Postby mk2glenn » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:57 pm

Well just to add things up quickly

It's a drift car so use an IS200 shell because be cheaper got than an Altezza

We'll say €600 for a shell
2500 for a standard 2JZ complete
1500 for an R154 box & clutch
400 for good second hand coilovers

You're already at 5 grand without putting the engine in. You'll still need a custom prop, a custom exhaust, a custom gearbox mount & a custom wiring loom just to get the engine running on a standard ECU. Then if you throw a few braces & anti roll bars at it theres another 500, another 300 for a decent fixed back seat, and I've yet to mention getting any extra lock. I know this because I'm considering an identical build at the minute :lol: but it's really not worth it, you'll get a savage 400bhp caged S body drift car for 6k.

Are you on Facebook? I'd like to talk to ya about the 3SGE turbo, I see your eManage on adverts too I might be interested!

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:03 am

mk2glenn wrote:Well just to add things up quickly

It's a drift car so use an IS200 shell because be cheaper got than an Altezza

We'll say €600 for a shell
2500 for a standard 2JZ complete
1500 for an R154 box & clutch
400 for good second hand coilovers

You're already at 5 grand without putting the engine in. You'll still need a custom prop, a custom exhaust, a custom gearbox mount & a custom wiring loom just to get the engine running on a standard ECU. Then if you throw a few braces & anti roll bars at it theres another 500, another 300 for a decent fixed back seat, and I've yet to mention getting any extra lock. I know this because I'm considering an identical build at the minute :lol: but it's really not worth it, you'll get a savage 400bhp caged S body drift car for 6k.

Are you on Facebook? I'd like to talk to ya about the 3SGE turbo, I see your eManage on adverts too I might be interested!

yeah I'm On facebook
Shane Edney is my name :)

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Personally I'd use an altezza cos EVERYONE has a bmw and s chassis has been done so much too. Apart from pete how many altezzas do you see out there drifting? heck how many altezzas do you see full stop? But then again I'm one of those people who hates having a common car. Glad you want to 2jz instead of an ls swap like every single car ever in history.

Only thing id say is the s chassis has way more parts and decent prices. You can get some adjustable suspension for the tezza on nengun and Daveo on the forum makes knuckles for big lock.

I say Tezza all the way! We need more mad builds

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Tosh21 wrote:Personally I'd use an altezza cos EVERYONE has a bmw and s chassis has been done so much too. Apart from pete how many altezzas do you see out there drifting? heck how many altezzas do you see full stop? But then again I'm one of those people who hates having a common car. Glad you want to 2jz instead of an ls swap like every single car ever in history.

Only thing id say is the s chassis has way more parts and decent prices. You can get some adjustable suspension for the tezza on nengun and Daveo on the forum makes knuckles for big lock.

I say Tezza all the way! We need more mad builds

My thoughts exactly I want something different sick of going to drift events and seeing the same nissans everywhere ino there's a lot more parts for them that's going to be the only hard thing .. Ino it's going to be costly but sure f**k it you only live once .. As for the 2jz it's just my dream to own one haha .. So I dunno I just want something 2jz even if it's a go kart hahaha

I'm more pushed towards Altezza but I'm not going to rush it ... My car should be finished by end the month and then I'll worry about next project haha

mk2glenn
Trc Off

Postby mk2glenn » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:42 pm

Tosh21 wrote: how many altezzas do you see out there drifting? heck how many altezzas do you see full stop? B
In Ireland, you can't leave the house without seeing a Tez and there is always 1 or 2 at drift days. Mark Gaffney has a 2JZ Altezza drift car

Now in saying that, there is 20 S bodies for every Altezza on the track :lol: Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 other Pro-spec Altezzas. One has an RB25 and the other has an SR20.

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:46 am

mk2glenn wrote:
Tosh21 wrote: how many altezzas do you see out there drifting? heck how many altezzas do you see full stop? B
In Ireland, you can't leave the house without seeing a Tez and there is always 1 or 2 at drift days. Mark Gaffney has a 2JZ Altezza drift car

Now in saying that, there is 20 S bodies for every Altezza on the track :lol: Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 other Pro-spec Altezzas. One has an RB25 and the other has an SR20.

That's is some machine lad ..yeah Ino every where you drive there Altezza there like civics haha ... But track wise there's not that many .. I'd like something a bit different and I just like toyotas .. Always have always will haha

Return to “Car chat”