Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Facelift dash cluster in pre-facelift Altezza illumination

For all your audio/visual & general interior needs, post here
Soiled
Altezza Guru

Facelift dash cluster in pre-facelift Altezza illumination

Postby Soiled » Sat May 03, 2014 11:01 pm

I've recently got my hands on a facelift dash cluster but have been having troubles finding the wiring diagram or even just a place to say where I need to plug the switched illumination wire into.

I have found the wire that switches 12V with the headlights (5th in from the left on the main plug) but have failed to find where to wire this too.

I have tried the free spot second in from the right as that was where a continuity test of the base of the bulb lead me to, but all this did was make the dash go dark when the lights turned on. So opposite of what I want haha I tried the only other free spot on that plug and it did nothing.

Could someone that has done this help me? Do I need to maybe remove where the switched power originally went to instead of just bridging it across?

I have searched the subject and found several threads on it, but none come right out and smack me in the face with where to hook it up to.

Cheers,
Alan.

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Re: Facelift dash cluster in pre-facelift Altezza illuminati

Postby G-TECroscommon » Sun May 04, 2014 2:18 am

Soiled wrote:I've recently got my hands on a facelift dash cluster but have been having troubles finding the wiring diagram or even just a place to say where I need to plug the switched illumination wire into.

I have found the wire that switches 12V with the headlights (5th in from the left on the main plug) but have failed to find where to wire this too.

I have tried the free spot second in from the right as that was where a continuity test of the base of the bulb lead me to, but all this did was make the dash go dark when the lights turned on. So opposite of what I want haha I tried the only other free spot on that plug and it did nothing.

Could someone that has done this help me? Do I need to maybe remove where the switched power originally went to instead of just bridging it across?

I have searched the subject and found several threads on it, but none come right out and smack me in the face with where to hook it up to.

Cheers,
Alan.

hi alan,
iv done this and it worked fine, i used Robin H's write up/guide, give me a few minutes to find it

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Sun May 04, 2014 2:22 am

tezzaworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6529&hilit

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Sun May 04, 2014 2:34 am

just after realizing thats not that clear anymore, i think a few pictures are missing or something, il get a picture of mine tomorrow for you

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Sun May 04, 2014 3:02 am

Sweet! That'd be awesome thanks, thought there may have been some pictures missing.

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Mon May 05, 2014 1:48 am

ok to wire the back illumination on the facelift cluster, you need to tap the power from the 5th wire on this plug, use about 15cm of wire,
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m51 ... 0A4F06.jpg
then press the wire into this hole on the same plug! (the second from the right)

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m51 ... 1F16F4.jpg
hope thats clear enough alan!

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Mon May 05, 2014 7:12 am

Perfect thanks! Will give it ago on my days off.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue May 06, 2014 8:34 am

Bridged the 5th wire over to the one second in from the right... The backlights now work when switched to park but turn off when switched to low beams. Still get 12v on the wire in both positions. Any ideas?

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue May 06, 2014 10:29 am

In the video I'm clicking from off > park > low beams > park > off.

Tried running a wire from my boost gauges illumination wire, still no good. Next I'll try a permanent feed and if that doesn't work I may have a faulty dash?

On the drive home from work I noticed it works on high beams aswell, so just not working on low beams *scratches head*

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Tue May 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Soiled wrote:Image

In the video I'm clicking from off > park > low beams > park > off.

Tried running a wire from my boost gauges illumination wire, still no good. Next I'll try a permanent feed and if that doesn't work I may have a faulty dash?

On the drive home from work I noticed it works on high beams aswell, so just not working on low beams *scratches head*

im going to say you bought a faulty cluster... mine works on park-dip-full beam and thats the wires ive bridged, cluster lights are normally easy fixed though!

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Wed May 07, 2014 4:56 am

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, May have to have a play with the dash itself. Or somehow wire the lights permanent on from the ignition.

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Wed May 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Soiled wrote:Yeah that's what I'm thinking, May have to have a play with the dash itself. Or somehow wire the lights permanent on from the ignition.

oh that sounds like a lot of fun :roll: did you have that problem with your old cluster ? i dont understand how the light turns off for your dip lights

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Wed May 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Old dash works fine. I don't understand it either.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Thu May 08, 2014 6:12 am

Ran a permanent feed to the second in from the right, backlights were on when lights were off.... then off for everything else!! Pulled dash out and swapped over for old one... works mint. Going to pull the back off the cluster and see if there is anything obvious. Doesn't make any sense though, unless only on low beams the dash is dimmable so needs a 12V feed to a dimmer plug or something?

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Thu May 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Soiled wrote:Ran a permanent feed to the second in from the right, backlights were on when lights were off.... then off for everything else!! Pulled dash out and swapped over for old one... works mint. Going to pull the back off the cluster and see if there is anything obvious. Doesn't make any sense though, unless only on low beams the dash is dimmable so needs a 12V feed to a dimmer plug or something?

that would make sense! but surely the others would be dimmable too... there must be a problem with the cluster, i wonder if you checked all the bulbs ? maybe theres one out and causing a problem

Return to “I.C.E & Interior section”