Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Differential mount rubbers

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
rahgi
Trc On!

Differential mount rubbers

Postby rahgi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:01 pm

i just came from under my car and noticed that one of the two mounts at the rear of the differential is missing.Is this something normal? and what do they do?.I did not remove any mount and it looked like that one was missing for a very long time,any info will be appreciated.
Simplicity

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Differential mount rubbers

Postby Trd Shane » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 pm

rahgi wrote:i just came from under my car and noticed that one of the two mounts at the rear of the differential is missing.Is this something normal? and what do they do?.I did not remove any mount and it looked like that one was missing for a very long time,any info will be appreciated.

No there most definatly should be two one on the left of diff with two bolts and one on the right with one bolt ... Bit tricky to do as I only replaced both mine at the weekend and the cost 50 plus vat from toyota ...
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 am

Yup there should be two in there alright.. the is200 has only one. Just discovered mine should be changed soon too... they catch the vertical and horizontal forces that the diff has to deal with I've been told...

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:29 am

rahgi
Trc On!

Postby rahgi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks to all who have respond,in fact the one with the single bolt on the right is missing.That explains the sliding effect from the rear when cornering on a bad piece of road.I want to believe that the previous owner in Japan had it removed for easier drifting,what you think? :idea:
Simplicity

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:46 pm

no worries, does the car seem to slide easier or just the arse tends to want to kick out as wouldn't have thought the diff mountings would make that sort of difference as there only there to keep the diff in place and absorb the torque solid ones I know help you drift
would have to replace them and see, but if that's the case could explain why mine feels arse end happy but more likely worn bushes as remember them being there

rahgi
Trc On!

Postby rahgi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:23 pm

mike_01 wrote:no worries, does the car seem to slide easier or just the arse tends to want to kick out as wouldn't have thought the diff mountings would make that sort of difference as there only there to keep the diff in place and absorb the torque solid ones I know help you drift
would have to replace them and see, but if that's the case could explain why mine feels arse end happy but more likely worn bushes as remember them being there

The car seems to slide easier,but i'm not worried,i've learned the car so i know when and how.I can't afford to break down people fence or uproot a utility pole :lol:
Simplicity

JordanCoupe
Trc On!

Postby JordanCoupe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:42 pm

I'd defo be putting the mount in as soon as possible you'll be putting all the joints in the shafts under huge pressure with it moving about that much. Does it not bang like fook changing gears?

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:47 am

yea definitely throw a new one on sooner rather than later. It will cause lots of stress on other bits of the drive train and put more stress on the other bolts trying to hold it up. I had my diff out yesterday and although it's a pretty easy job it does take a while. Getting the bush in might be a bit of a pain though, it's fairly tight under there. A nice puller might do it though, with some sort of plate to spread the load over the entire bush as your wind it in.

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Tosh21 wrote:yea definitely throw a new one on sooner rather than later. It will cause lots of stress on other bits of the drive train and put more stress on the other bolts trying to hold it up. I had my diff out yesterday and although it's a pretty easy job it does take a while. Getting the bush in might be a bit of a pain though, it's fairly tight under there. A nice puller might do it though, with some sort of plate to spread the load over the entire bush as your wind it in.

I just dropped rear of the subframe down and could tap them in them ... East enough job just space is the issue
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

j2jedi
Trc Off

Postby j2jedi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:38 am

mike_01 wrote:here should be like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Altezz ... 43bbc3001b

So by putting in these solid mounts over the OEM bushings you get a happy tailes car or does it just get the torque down better?

lucan82
Noob!

Postby lucan82 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Auto trans has 1 rubber only. Manual has 2. You can check at toyodiy for the parts details. Mine also has 1 rubber mount.

daveo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby daveo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:56 am

definately put a bush back in . thats madness driving around without one and its only going to wear something unevenly in your car. if you put solid ally bushes in you will get better response when kicking the car out as the rubber ones deaden the response. the only thing is your car will be a bit rougher on the road.

j2jedi
Trc Off

Postby j2jedi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:30 pm

daveo wrote:definately put a bush back in . thats madness driving around without one and its only going to wear something unevenly in your car...

That's what I would definitely do if I were in Raghi's shoes, at least OEM :)

daveo wrote:...if you put solid ally bushes in you will get better response when kicking the car out as the rubber ones deaden the response. the only thing is your car will be a bit rougher on the road...

Ok, thanks. So it would become a more responsive and rough ride, but not tailhappy. That's a good thing imho :D

daveo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby daveo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:16 am

yes most definately even if only oem. i cant believe that someone would drive around knowing that their drive train is not safely secured.....thats only asking for trouble :) the arse of the car will be tail happy only if you want it to be with the solid bushings. i have them in my track car and its a totally different car to drift with them :)

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”