Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

j0hann3s his tezz life

Once you've introduced yourself why not throw up a few pictures of your car or a project thread?
j0hann3s
Noob!

j0hann3s his tezz life

Postby j0hann3s » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Well, this is a large first opening projectlog post.... So get a nice cup of thea and make some time.

Please be not to hard on my English, trying to do my best.

I started my first car in 2009. It was a Renault clio 1.8 8v rsi from 1997. Funny car. Had no idea with car mechanics, so I was more looking at budget and looks of it.

After 2 years, finished with mid school, going to study evening class at high school, I sold the clio (rust was coming).
As I gain more interest in off-road looking cars and wanted something higher. I bought a 3drs rav4 from 2001 in 2011. The 2L 150pk engine with 4x4 was quick with acceleration, and steering was so light, could only use my pink. And the higher view was nice.

I joined a Toyotaclub and got more in the car-scene.
After a while, I started to modifying things like spraying interior panels black and audio upgrade.
Due the rav4 3door variant form that production year, it was quiet hard to find cool modding things.

For who wants to read more of my rav, Here's a projectlog: Rav4 projectlog

As I learnt more about cars, going to events and started photography hobby, I started looking for something else. After one and a half year I stopped study (was not motivated), and bought a house, so lot of things were going on that time. When the house was almost liveable, I found an Altezza for sale, just 5 minutes away from my work!

I work as production pre-parer with cad/cam erp software. Making programs for machines. The machies on my work are 3 laser cutting machine's. 2 plasmacutters and a waterjet. All stainless sheetmetal material.

The car was standing at a company handeling in damaged cars and export. Why it was there? no idea.
After some disagreements about test-driving and payment I finaly could take a spin around the block.

So I stept in on the right side, and lifted off :P Totally no stress about sitting on the other side. Gear shifting was feeling okay. Kick down responded and no warning lights ed.

Since 17 June 2013 I got the tezz!!!

Here standing the rav and tezz next each other.
After a month for sale, it's now somewhere else.
Both cars have there own nice fun thing. Still miss the rav a little. Driving it was damn nice. Speeding at honda's XD

I found the history on the internet how the tezz has come to Holland.
A boy met a Japanese girl. The girl took the car to Holland as, how do you say that in English?, household goods. The boy later got it licensed. Then they went emigrating to somewhere else. And he sold the car. Not sure how it came to the place where I found it, but I its mine now!!! Yeah :)

Looking info about it on the internet... found out it was a rare car in Holland. Holland knows the lexus is200/250 etc but not the altezza. The 3sge is pretty special here. On a Lexus forum I met some other tezza drivers. There are about 5~6 altezza's driving here.

After a firm wash on the driveway, some pictures

The 3S-GE engine

Interior

Within a week... Meeting time! Driving with MLCoolj to showoff imports on the other side of the land, for a lexus meet.
Half-way picked up j2jedi to go along with us.

Here I am standing next to j2jedi

One of the first mods I did, was removing the lexus logo on the back. Why put a lexus logo on a Toyota?

Looking great! Like it much.

One day I went to the carwash... :( and damaged the transparent paint on the back where the L logo was...
The high pressure water pistol sprayed some of transparent paint off it :(:(:(
Little scratches made it possible to let pressured water to get under it.

In meantime I found some more little spots where the transparent paint is disappearing...
Due the car has a scratch behind on the rear right side panel and a dent in the left rear door (was already there before buying), and the paint has some dark spots, I'm trying to save some money for repainting. Repairing those spots cost 1/3 of painting the whole car.

Here you can see the missing paint a little

So I decided to place a sticker on it, to hide the damaged logo-spot a little bit...
Couldn't find quick an other picture, sorry.

Modding on... I planned to upgrade the audio system.
The previous owner installed a VICS system form Japan.
I managed to play music with it. It is a funny thing, with the Japanese island navigation map on it...
You can store vehicle maintenance also in it i think.

But it wasn't a very usable radio for me, it didn't have bluetooth?(not sure) for hands free calls.
So I decided to replaced it with the Pioneer I had in my previous car.
The vics is now at a friends place. He would like to try to put English software on it.

Just got myself a wire connector set and some plastic frame from ebay. And here's the pioneer installed:
Due the car hasn't the amplifier, it was just plug and play.

First maintenance; got myself a filter/spark set from uk..
After a while, seeing this image back... platinum sparks???? oh oh uh...
So replaced them last week for ngk iridium. Engine much better now.

Oil change (10w40... dumb dumb dumb... replaced it 2 months later with 5w. Much better!)
Maf sensor is looking also clean

One of the bottom
Nice picture

Also installed some new braking pads at he rear wheels.They where no good any more.

On a sunny day, I installed some new horns. very easy mod.
Sounding loud and good. But I did it more for the better looks.
Like it, or hate it. I'm happy with it.

Then one day, I needed to replace the braking lights. I think they where still the originals one's.

And moving on, I installed a new battery.
old vs new one

Installed in the car. Big battery in tezz? yes it fits!

Car starts better. First driving meters was a little heavy for the car, due ecu reset and dynamo needs to work little harder. but its fine now.

Baking time!
Re-painted some heating shields.

For more audio-upgrading, placing new wires through the car, I removed the back seating.
Found shattered glass underneath it!! :O

Moving on, the magic happened and found 2 penny's under the seat!!!!

Because the rear speaker wires where cutted, dont know why? I decided to put some other speakers in it.
I had some laying around from my previous car. So doing some wood cutting, making speaker holders for the rear speakers.

Audio systems meets Toyota

Stealth install

Seats back. What a pain in the ass to get the hooks into the holes...
Also have now a third head support in the middle. Got it from a is200

Having great sound in the back, front needed to be upgraded too.
Old speaker
New one
everything back

Powering it all up. 4x100w rms on the speakers
Also having a little sub installed, 8"playing at 160w...
Yeah I know its a little one. Still need to find something else. But I had this one laying around.

Old tires
Went missing at New Years Eve

Got some winter tires now.
Due the car was eating the tires on the inside, the car got an alignment.

And then, I made the jump, and started to mod it like a racecar.
I managed to get a pair of sparco seats and safety belts for cheap.

Of course the sledge isn't made for the tezz, so I custom made a new bracket.
Left, sparco rail, right lexus seat bracket thing (had spare)

Seat removed
The car doesn't have heated seats, or airbags in the seat. Big plus for me. Less wires to be worried about :)

A lot off fitting, some drilling and welding, i managed to create this
Some black paint

Installed one side

And the other side
Seats are installed quite low in the car. But I'm now used to it, don't see the urge to raise it a little more.

Installing the seat belts

The length of the seatbelts were a little short. I was little creative, and installed a quick release system.

Me sitting in the sport-car :roll:

And then test-driving. All the way strapped up in the sportseat.
Wow man! What a different car. Urging to go faster around corners, and wanting to break harder! Because you cant move. Huge like for me.

Later on, I finally got some other seatbelt extenders, and removed the back seat.
Now installed more the way it should be.
Some home carpet laying around, installed makes it just a little more nicer looking.

It makes the car look so much different. I like it much. And I still can easy built it back the way it was.

Installed some hood lifters

And placed an TRD window streamer on front.

So on, the ricer way... the engine performance parts are next.
Got myself an trd air filter from Japan
old vs new
Bad enough, it gets coved with a plastic panel
Getting really good gas response with it.
Old filter was holding back a lot of airflow.

Thinking back, as the air filter is that restrictive, and the platinum sparks i mention earlier instead of iridium... will the oil filter be cheap and bad as well?? Hope not.... Got myself a new trd oil filter, only want to wait with it for the yearly car inspection with oil change.

Due time, I found out that the car is a very basic model. Almost no extras on it.
When I bought the car, I dint know better, but I'm trying to make the best of it.
Still missing the TRC off button, that isn't installed. Also couldn't find a wire to connect one in.
Found out on the internet, that you can disconnect 2 abs relays under the hood, to disable it.

Little disappointed about the extras. On other side, it has more potential to add more mods to it, without worrying about little things like seat warming.

One other thing the car was missing.... an LSD! A01A :(
So I found one for lexus.
Only it has the 4 bolt connections for the drive shaft to the wheels. Altezza has 6 bolts. I was thinking about swapping parts, but then someone offered me 4bolt drive shafts, so those are coming my way.
Will try to fit the lsd in the summer. Its now freezing cold outside.

And then party time! Happy birthday Tezz! 15 year old, and 100.000 km on the clock!

Little bit worried about, that it is time to change the timing belt. Found out, the previous owner did it at 70.000 when it was 10 year old. Phew.. So instead I treated the car for an automatic transmission flush with new filter.

One latest thing to do... replace the o2 sensors. One of them is not responding right.
I have some new ones, but the old ones need to come out first.
What a @#!(*&$@ place to put those sensors there... Will see next week what to do about it. Maybe need to order an special lambda socket for it.
To be continued...

Plans for the future
- Fog lights, or some mesh
- Plastic wind shields things above the windows
- Car body repair / repainting.......
- Making headlights black with angle/halo eyes
- Painting brakes
- Some nice rims
- Other sub
- And all other great things i see with the time
- Exhaust
- coilovers
- chiptune?? i miss low torque

Ideas enough.. but if it will be as planed.. I dont know.
I don't have many practise, but want to learn.

Plans for this year are to participate at the quarter miles, and if all is still ok. In the end of the year sideways drift training.

Planning for next year, a car rebuild as project car... but in a year, a lot happens. So we\ll see what it brings.
Got also some plans for my own house. Well see what money and time will do.

I'm sure there are things forgotten in this post. Doing my best to keep you informed.

First things first. Need to fix that damn lambda... Engine is stationary restless, and has a lack off power.
Other than that, i might have to replace the coils.

Feel free to ask. Suggestions and tips are welcome.

Here's one latest image
Last edited by j0hann3s on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
wrsm

j0hann3s
Noob!

Re: j0hann3s his tezz life

Postby j0hann3s » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Sorry for the large photo's. Most are linked from facebook..
I thought the forum had an auto-rezise function :oops:

- Edit- Fixed. Hope I didn't make an mistake :)
wrsm

Damok

Postby Damok » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Good read, some nice mods as well. Fair play.
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

banan1984
Altezza Guru

Postby banan1984 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Very good work mate! All the pictures reminds me of my work a bit, when I was posting every single bit of a change :mrgreen: but that's good, very positive :) I love Your work and I know there will be more in future, now got me thinking what I can do next to my one :lol:
D700 / RS200

tezza mick
Altezza Guru

Postby tezza mick » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Great thread, lots of work but in :D

Steve86
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Steve86 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:28 pm

Great thread mate.....I like the detailed update..thumbs up
I'm in the White House

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:43 pm

haha only seeing this thread now... sat in those seats on saturday.. wow they sat great! I can't put those in though, sometimes the car gets driven by the misses too and I don't see her climbing in and out of the car like I had to :lol:

j0hann3s
Noob!

Postby j0hann3s » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Havent been here for a while.

Thnx for the compliment mlcoolj

In meantime, I upgraded my garage.

From this

to this

Still need to connect the gas-heater. Also planned for the future, an epoxy floor.

Nice bright workplace :) And that with 2 buckets of paint and some lights.

And then the brakes of the car where going backwards.... so time to replace everything.

Last weekend replaced the brakes with some help from friends.

Brembo front discs
Brembo front brakepads
Brembo rear discs
TRW rear brakepads
TRW brakeshoes/drum for rear(handbrake)
+ revision set for the brakeshoes.

Sorry for the lack of photo's. Forgot to made some more.

Big difference between new and old ones (rear). Front side where looking better.

Brakeshoes where 1/3 of new ones.

Nice looking job!

----------

Next day, car whasing and cleaning... checking the spare tire.... oil crap found in the back.
When I bought the car, I found an empty bottle of power steering fluid. Know now where it's gone.

After cleanup:

And the sparewheel:

I'm thincking of replacing the sparewheel for some, what we called 'pur'. Injector repair fluid or something. Saving some wheight.

So far my progress.. sorry again for the lack of photos.
Not so many updates... but I'll do my best to make something awesome off it.

Brakes are beginning to work better and better in meantime! Like it :)
Keep you posted.
wrsm

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 am

Nice job! But that I told you already haha... I'mm still waiting on some good weather and some spare time to check my rear brakes.. If the car stands still for a day and I go for a drive I can hear something in the back like metal over metal, but after some time driving it goes away...

Damok

Postby Damok » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Nice job. . 8)
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

j2jedi
Trc Off

Postby j2jedi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Didn't know you registered here, Johannes. Nice write up. Welcome!
I see I have to start my own project topic. My activities on the Tezz has been lying a little low these last few months.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 am

looking good, atleast the oil kept it from rusting :lol:
I had the same in all of my imports must be a jap thing :lol:

j0hann3s
Noob!

Postby j0hann3s » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:25 am

Haha, lol. That what I am alsoo saying when people say, that the engine is leaking oil.... It will not rust :lol:

Got some new wheels on te tezz,

wrsm

Return to “Member's Cars / Projects”