Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Inner Steering End Replacement

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
Lightning
Trc Off

Inner Steering End Replacement

Postby Lightning » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Can anyone tell me step by step how to replace the inner steering end? Is it a simple DIY?

Thanks for your assistance.

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Re: Inner Steering End Replacement

Postby peter0991 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Do you mean the actual tie rod that attached to the steering rack?

Lightning
Trc Off

Postby Lightning » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I only know it as the inner steering end: Pics are below:

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Ok, yea its the tie rod. A bit fiddly in places but I managed to do it under an hour when I was fitting the rack spacers.

From what I remember you take off the rubber boot. The smaller clip can be moved using pliers, but the bigger one has a slightly different design. You have to hook the little tabs with a small screwdriver (you will understand what I mean when you see it) until they are fully outwards. Then it comes off pretty easily.

Slide the boot away

Then you have a washer which bends around the end which screws into the steering rack (to prevent it from unscrewing). To bend this washer back I used a big screwdriver and a hammer and once there was enough clearance, I got a pretty big crescent spanner (35mm) and hammered it on to bend the washer fully out and flat....You wanted DIY :lol:

Random image to explain what I mean.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/ ... G_9694.jpg

Once the washer is pulled away from the tie rod, just undo it. As I said, not too sure on the exact size spanner that you need because I used an adjustable crescent spanner. (get one if you havent got one)

Also it would help when you remove the old tie rod, mark how far in the tie rod end was wound onto it just so you dont have to spend too much time aligning it afterwards....will need the tracking done after anyways.

The washer can get pretty mangled, so I just used plenty of thread lock on the tie rod and screwed it back in. Its safe to say that its safe to do it that way :wink:

The biggest pain in the arse is fitting the rubber boot back on, because the big clip is horrible to put back on. I nearly gave up and cable tied it :lol: But managed it in the end. Think it can be easier if you got a pair of helping hands.

Thats about it, nothing too complicated if youre handy with some tools.

Lightning
Trc Off

Postby Lightning » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 am

Might not have to do this just yet, but many thanks for the help.

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”