Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Minty.Fresh BN Sports Altezza

Once you've introduced yourself why not throw up a few pictures of your car or a project thread?
lakers
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Another addition to the club- White turbo altezza

Postby lakers » Sat May 19, 2012 9:57 pm

peter0991 wrote:So the past two days have been very successful. Got her through the mot on Friday, and made my way over to Dartmouth to get dyno'ed and mapped.

I dont know who had her mapped before me, but the Steve from FC Tuning was not impressed with the map.
Straightaway he solved the injector problem i have had since February and towards the end of the session she was pushing around 264bhp at the flywheel @0.5bar. Il put the dyno sheets up later so you can see a comparison between a good map and a bad map.
So at last she is driveable and all is left is a timing belt change and she will be ready for some track time.
It is a completely different car now, i must admit i was even a little scared when i got in after the dyno run. The engine response and power delivery was unbelievable...what was i driving before?!? :lol:

all of the above = happy happy joy joy :wink:
To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:31 pm

I think the actual first dyno run pushed around 190bhp :lol: the 223.1bhp figure was done after some tweaking as the car wouldnt rev past 5k :lol:
223.1bhp was pushed with completely screwed up timing, which resulted in boost spiking up to 0.8bar with the torque curve being all over the place. The car was driven on that map by previous owner and god knows how many before him. :oops:
Now its pushing 222.5hp at the wheels, which is....very, very, very fun to take on to closed private roads :roll:

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Decided to fit the timing belt kit today that i got from Nick. All i can say is that i didnt even get to the stage of removing the belt cover :lol:
1. the power steering belt was on so tight that it amazed me how it got put on there in the first place.
2. didnt have anything to remove the pulley with

So this job has been put off for a while until i can get a different belt and a bearing/pulley puller

Anyone has any suggestions on what length belt to use for the power steering so it can actually be fitted on? :lol:

Edit: Looked over the other forums and found that people (including Nick) are using 1080 belts...
So how the hell did those crazy japs manage to fit that belt on there in the first place? :shock:

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 pm

good stuff
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 am

looking good bud! Good you got her sorted now!

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:12 am

So all my parts have arrived, and finally got around to doing the timing belt. Took about 4 hours in total...3 of which involved removing and changing the water pump :lol: :lol: All i can say is that it is a pain in the arse!!!

Never done anything this fiddly in my life!

Got the timing bang on the first time and car goes like a dream!

Looked in to removing the aircon but since i have a limited tool selection and i dont know any fabrication places around where i live... i decided to leave the aircon where it is for now. I have come up with a rough design for a spacer which is 200mm thick with 2 holes 220mm apart which could work at replacing the aircon and still holding the power-steering tensioner in place.
But that is a job for another day.

While i was on a car mission, i decided to fit the spacers i picked up from a friend.

Initial offset
After

Had to raise the rear slightly as i havent rolled the rear arches yet, but so far on the worst roads it only rubs a tiny bit.

Next step is wait for a payday and stock up on tyres and off to the track :D
Last edited by peter0991 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 am

nicely done!

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:37 am

[quote="peter0991"]So all my parts have arrived, and finally got around to doing the timing belt. Took about 4 hours in total...3 of which involved removing and changing the water pump :lol: :lol: All i can say is that it is a pain in the arse!!!

Never done anything this fiddly in my life!

Tidy job dude,that's something I will have to do myself on the lex. The water pump is starting to go,good for another while but better to get it done sooner rather than later :D Since the front will be off,should I do the timing belt too. It was last done at 80,000 miles,probably ok but while it's all open probably would be a good idea? What tools did you need for the job? I may invest in some if not already in the collection :lol:
CF vortex generator,eurou eyelids,angle eyes with black headlights,17" gun grey gtr replica alloys,LEDs.
Mission: Supercharged!

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:21 am

It could be a good idea to change the belt since it is out anyway's. If you dont change it though, make sure it goes on the same way (same rotation) as before.
For the job i got some bearing pullers to get the pulley off. But Id strongly recommend a harmonic balancer puller as its probably the safest way of doing it.

Other than that, just a standard range of tools :D Do you need to take the belt off to get to the waterpump? I thought it was a different setup.

But yea man, get the pump done. I didnt drive my car until i got the belt done as i left it too late ( 127000km) :oops:

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:53 pm

peter0991 wrote:It could be a good idea to change the belt since it is out anyway's. If you dont change it though, make sure it goes on the same way (same rotation) as before.
For the job i got some bearing pullers to get the pulley off. But Id strongly recommend a harmonic balancer puller as its probably the safest way of doing it.

Other than that, just a standard range of tools :D Do you need to take the belt off to get to the waterpump? I thought it was a different setup.

But yea man, get the pump done. I didnt drive my car until i got the belt done as i left it too late ( 127000km) :oops:

:shock:yeah say your glad it's all done now,a big job under the belt. Fair play dude :D
It's a different setup,but not sure to be honest. A complete virgin at this,probably should get it done by a mechanic but want to have a go anyway and if out of my dept will pass it to my mechanic,he's just up the road :lol: :lol:
CF vortex generator,eurou eyelids,angle eyes with black headlights,17" gun grey gtr replica alloys,LEDs.

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:12 pm

I wanted to save time and take it to a mechanic, but as soon as he saw the car...his answer was no, he refused to do it! So i had no choice in the matter really :lol: .
It helps if you have done some engine work before. But everyone has to start somewhere, im sure there are plenty DIY guides for changing the belt on the 1GFE. Have a look around the forum and if you have any questions, just ask, im sure people will be more than happy to help you....or just tell you to use the search button :lol: :lol:
There is nothing better than the feeling of doing something on the car yourself....and it working afterwards :lol:

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 pm

peter0991 wrote:I wanted to save time and take it to a mechanic, but as soon as he saw the car...his answer was no, he refused to do it! So i had no choice in the matter really :lol: .
It helps if you have done some engine work before. But everyone has to start somewhere, im sure there are plenty DIY guides for changing the belt on the 1GFE. Have a look around the forum and if you have any questions, just ask, im sure people will be more than happy to help you....or just tell you to use the search button :lol: :lol:
There is nothing better than the feeling of doing something on the car yourself....and it working afterwards :lol:

Exactly,no better feeling when you've put the work in. That's abit crazy that the mechanic wouldn't touch your car,obviously never went near a tuned car before :lol:
Yeah I won't have any probs getting advice from the lads here so that's why I want to have a lash at it. Will post info as I go so one step at a time :D

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Just found a guide off LOC which will hopefully work a treat for me. If anyone with a lex thinking about doing it,this link will help :D
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ ... guide&st=0

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:15 pm

ISred02 wrote:Just found a guide off LOC which will hopefully work a treat for me. If anyone with a lex thinking about doing it,this link will help :D

That looks pretty straightforward :D and the water pump is very open. Yea as with any cambelt change just make sure that the cams. do. not. move. :lol:
Good luck buddy. Give it a few tries to get the belt bang on the marks, dont worry if you dont, just start over till its right.

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:04 am

peter0991 wrote:
ISred02 wrote:Just found a guide off LOC which will hopefully work a treat for me. If anyone with a lex thinking about doing it,this link will help :D

That looks pretty straightforward :D and the water pump is very open. Yea as with any cambelt change just make sure that the cams. do. not. move. :lol:
Good luck buddy. Give it a few tries to get the belt bang on the marks, dont worry if you dont, just start over till its right.

Cheers for all the advice peter,will do :D

Return to “Member's Cars / Projects”