Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Paint problems!

General discussions about other Lexus models
ISred02
Altezza Guru

Paint problems!

Postby ISred02 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:36 pm

A quick question guys,I just wanted to find out some issues with the paint on my lex. Well firstly the lacquer on all four door handles and behind have peeled quite badly and secondly around the door frames,little spots of rust are showing. It looks worse because the door frames are black against the red car so it's really beginning to annoy me.
Now I know that there was a lot of problems with paint of the lexus is200 models,so with that in mind can I do anything in terms of getting in contact with lexus Ireland and maybe getting it sorted? My car is a 02 so probably at this stage it's not going to happen but if anyone knows or has had this problem,I would appreciate any advise,
Go raibh maith agat :D
CF vortex generator,eurou eyelids,angle eyes with black headlights,17" gun grey gtr replica alloys,LEDs.
Mission: Supercharged!

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Re: Paint problems!

Postby mike_01 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi, not got any propblem with paint only stone chip's, but was going to say are you sure the rust on the pillar's isn't from stone chip's as got a couple of stone chips on my pillars, left untreated will eventually rust out, best get some pic's up, also door handles is it every one?

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:50 pm

mike_01 wrote:Hi, not got any propblem with paint only stone chip's, but was going to say are you sure the rust on the pillar's isn't from stone chip's as got a couple of stone chips on my pillars, left untreated will eventually rust out, best get some pic's up, also door handles is it every one?

Hey mike,yeah I'll get some pics up of the offending articles. All the door handles are peeling. I'd understand if it was the drivers side as it would be used more but all of them! :( . As for the door frames,it only a few spots as i said but it's along the top edge of the frame,if that makes sense?
Again,I'll get some pics and show what's happening. Cheers for the response
CF vortex generator,eurou eyelids,angle eyes with black headlights,17" gun grey gtr replica alloys,LEDs.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:04 pm

pic's will help, just remembered now my door mirrors are peeling and need addressing at some point, how are your's?

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:55 pm

mike_01 wrote:pic's will help, just remembered now my door mirrors are peeling and need addressing at some point, how are your's?

Mine are fine,no peeling or stone chips. Here's those pics.
http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af71 ... nt%20woes/
The passenger handle is actually the worst of the lot. The door frame rust are probably not the best example as one is from a scratch so can't blame the paint there :D

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:58 am

Hi the rust part's look more like from stone chip or where has been caught, other is as you say from scratch, being on the black you could get that film stuff most cars put there, would have to dig the rust out first though and kill it, before putting the film over it, otherwise would think all the black would need painting as not something that can be matched easyunless you got someone top notch, red colour if you told me in first would have said it's one of the worst colours to peel like that, tbh most red car if not polished reqular peel, ever seen the red corsa's that turn pick, nest stage is peeling, you could scratch off all the laquer gently where it's raised or the milky colour, normally easy to get off and then polish the hell out of them would make them less noticable, probally go and say get some 3000 grit wet and dry and rub over the edges gently would make the edges softer,
don't think you'll have luck at lex tbh I know they offer 12 year corrosion but it getting the evidence it's not from chip's etc.. and paint and body work is 6 year hth :wink:

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:55 am

mike_01 wrote:Hi the rust part's look more like from stone chip or where has been caught, other is as you say from scratch, being on the black you could get that film stuff most cars put there, would have to dig the rust out first though and kill it, before putting the film over it, otherwise would think all the black would need painting as not something that can be matched easyunless you got someone top notch, red colour if you told me in first would have said it's one of the worst colours to peel like that, tbh most red car if not polished reqular peel, ever seen the red corsa's that turn pick, nest stage is peeling, you could scratch off all the laquer gently where it's raised or the milky colour, normally easy to get off and then polish the hell out of them would make them less noticable, probally go and say get some 3000 grit wet and dry and rub over the edges gently would make the edges softer,
don't think you'll have luck at lex tbh I know they offer 12 year corrosion but it getting the evidence it's not from chip's etc.. and paint and body work is 6 year hth :wink:

Cheers Mark,yeah was thinking of getting carbon wrap around the door frames anyway so will attend to the rust first and work from there. It's my first red car and I think it will be my last. As much as i love red,especially on a lex,it's a nightmare to keep it a vibrant red.I polish it but probably not regularly enough. I'll take your advice and give the lacquer a run over and see if I can improve it. I was going to try and remove the door handles so I could get at it better but don't know I will if it's more hassle than it's worth :lol: .I know the front door handles are handy enough but I think I have to remove the inner door card to get access to the handles at the rear. Anyway,I'll give it a lash nxt wknd as the wife and kids are away,give some time to my other baby :wink:

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:28 pm

No worries, if you like chrome and don't want hassle I was looking into these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-RX300-T ... 1e690a23e0
but don't like chrome but was going to spray them black, would save you some hassle as they only stick on with 3m tape, worth a tenner for trial sake I would say :wink:
if you don't like them I'd be willing to have em off

ISred02
Altezza Guru

Postby ISred02 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Yeah they might just work,like you say I'll just spray them black and hopefully that will save me time :lol: unfortunately delivery isn't until august but in no rush so will order them and see how it works out :D
Nice find,never thought about door handle trims. Now I've just got to see about the door frames :roll:

Return to “Lexus IS200,IS220,IS250”