Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

blitz sbc setup

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

blitz sbc setup

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:58 pm

hi everyone.
i recently swapped my na altezza with craig for his turboed one and i have been having a fiddle with the boost controller.
i have set it to low boost;8psi, medium boost; 12psi and high boost at 16psi with a scramble boost for 4 seconds at 19psi.
but everytime i boot it and the turbo kicks in above 14-15psi i get a massive amount of boost creep and it rockets up to 25psi before the boost cut intervenes and calls a halt to the fun.

dont get me wrong its great having a ridiculously quick car but nearly two bar of boost pressure on standardish internals is going to end in a noisy and expensive pop.
is there anything i can do to reduce the boost creep/spike?
i have had a mate looking at it today and it is setup in the same way as his sr20`d sil80 yet he doesnt have any problems.

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: blitz sbc setup

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:46 pm

right then.
ive been fiddling again and have used half a tank of fuel trying to sort it out. :lol:

the car drives fine when running through the gears from 1st to 6th but when its left in a gear cruising along and then the accelerator is pressed it boosts up to about 3psi then hits a fuel cut and the warning light flashes up then it wont drive at all, it has to be revved up due to overfuelling then slotted into a low gear and then the process starts again.

with the ebc switched off it seems much smoother but it still hits some sort of fuel cut at higher boost pressures and my boost guage gets erratic and dances about.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:34 am

The check light one sounds like the knock sensor. (Knock = real bad, melted pistons/bent rods type of stuff.)

and have you checked all hoses to the wastegate? When mine was spiking to 30psi it was the hose to the wastegate diaphragm.

Other people have experienced boost spikes by running too large an exhaust so try putting a restricter (silencer) in your muffler and see if it helps.

Wastegate could be too small to handle what you're trying to get it to do/the flap is blocked and not opening fully.

Other than that you could have set up the boost control with the gain too high.

And lastly I hope you have had the car tuned for all the highest level of boost you're running, if not you're just asking for a blown engine.

Basically if you're running that kind of boost on your standard engine you're going to get problems.

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:55 pm

its been tuned to 1.1 bar as pretty much the limit on the map with standardish internals.
i have had it checked over by a reputable tuner but that was before i started fiddling with the ebc.
the gain is set to 4 which seems to be the best power delivery without a boost spike.
all the hoses are new as i had a load spare and wanted to tidy up the mess that was the previous installation.

yamahatezza
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby yamahatezza » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:15 pm

the full manual is available over the net mate. what exact mods do you have done ? decompressioned ? stock pistons ? gasket etc?

yamahatezza
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby yamahatezza » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:16 pm

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:42 pm

all i can see that has been done is an hks gasket has been fitted and the part number relates to a 1.2mm thick one, the injectors are 540cc ones and it has an uprated fuel pump.
it is mapped with an hks fcon pro ecu that seems to be doing the job pretty well.
the wastegate opens at below 7psi which is a bit ghey as it is mapped to take more than twice as much boost as that.

i already have that download but i can only veiw it on microsoft office programms so its pretty useless to me :(
im just going to go to a tuning garage tomorrow and see if they can set it up a bit better.

basically out of the four modes i want number one to behave as if the boost controller is off but with a slight increase in gain, number two to be my everyday boost level, number three as my weekend boost level and number four as my mentally fast surprise some more exotic machinery boost level. :lol:

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Running that much boost on what you think is factory internals is ballsy :D

Ask xNickx (the site trader) about his boost spiking problem, it was due to his exhaust and he had to put a restrictor in there.

Other wise pull the dump pipe off and make sure the wastegate is opening fully.

The wastegate might be set up to the 4psi it comes without of the box, is it an adjustable one? (With thread on the wastegate arm) If you really don't like it you can make that open it later, but to be honest it doesn't matter if you've got a boostcontroller set up as it just wont open until the boost controller lets it anyway.

I always found if I had different boost levels I just left it on the highest anyway :p unless there was a problem or letting someone else drive.

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:04 pm

yeah it has a threaded arm on the wastegate that is wound all the way out.
i have already had the downpipe off the turbo to wrap it in exhaust wrap and replace the turbo gaskets, when i had a look inside there were no signs of the wastegate fouling on the flange for the down pipe.
i was thinking of grinding the inside of the flange so it would flow the exhaust gasses out of the turbo better but i couldnt find my die grinder. :roll:

one of my mates is a pretty good fabricator so i will enlist him to make me a new centre section for my exhaust because the current one has a mashed up centre box.
while he is at it he can fab up some restrictors that can be bolted in.

im trying to get my egt guage working so i can get a better idea of how its running but whoever installed it has made a right mess of the wiring.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”