Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Idling

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Rob
Altezza Guru

Idling

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:13 am

The idling issues which seem to be a problem for a lot of people seemed to come and go for me. I'd scrub the throttle body, clean the MAF sensor and it would go away... For a while. The Lambda sensor seems ok, it seems to cycle between 0 and 0.6v regularly so it's not dead at least.
This time though none of these seemed to work, so I seen someone mention something about the battery terminals. The voltage was pretty stable at 13.9v and a good 12v when off, so I didn't think it was that.
Anyway, got nothing to loose so I unhooked it anyway and took some sandpaper to the battery terminals and also the inside of the connectors. No obvious corrosion that I could see, but it did seem to have an effect. I don't know if it was related to resetting the ECU (idle revs jumped to 2k until the ECU re-learned) or the connections themselves but it's idling an awful lot better now. It's still not perfect, but at least it doesn't sound like it's about to cut out anymore.
So if you have an idling problem, it's well worth trying this before investing in an expensive sensor replacement.

SilTezza
Altezza Guru

Re: Idling

Postby SilTezza » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:05 pm

i might give it a try since my idle is not stable sometimes.. But im planning to change my battery to a large size(60) since im using the small one(40)

eddieusj
Noob!

Re: Idling

Postby eddieusj » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:54 am

It is a must that, after cleaning your Throttle body or MAF sensor, you need to reset the ECU by either removing the battery terminal (+) or removing the EFI and ECTS fuse for around 1 minute before fixing them back.
This is to let the the ECU to relearn and reset the idling...

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”