Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Idling problem

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
roberte
Trc Off

Idling problem

Postby roberte » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi,
The car had an idling problem before, the revs would sink and the engine would cut out if you took your foot off the accelerator pedal. I put it down to a dud battery and replaced it. It seems however that the problem has returned. I have been reading about how some people say that their engine wasn't running happily on 95 octane petrol here. I've got a Tom's TEC II ECU, which may be more succeptable again? What happens to the car when running it on lower octane petrol though, would idling like this be a typical problem? Or would there be a more obvious explanation?
I was going to fill up in Maxol next time to see if there was any difference.

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:06 pm

its really strange to see a toms ecu in a standard altezza. its probably mapped to at lest 100 ron fuel so start there, fill up with a full tank of E5 from Maxol and reset your ecu. if that doesnt fix it... hmmmm. Toms ecu cant be remapped

will
Noob!

Postby will » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:50 pm

i went to view an altezza over the week end that had the same kind of problem, the car was idling fine, then after around 10 minutes, it started to make this juddering noise and eventually died.. i thought it was the battery, the car dealer said it was because it ran out of petrol, but when i looked into the car, it still had a quarter, i walked away.

roberte
Trc Off

Mods

Postby roberte » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:52 pm

This car sure 'aint standard! The previous owner modified tons of stuff. The auction brokers didn't provide a full translation of the auction report and I ended up with much more than I anticipated (some stuff good, some bad), but that's a whole other day's story! Suffice to say it's got a Tom's ECU and I'm stuck with it.
Or am I? Anyone revert back to a standard/mappable ECU? Is it possible? Expensive?

R.

Dizz
Site Admin

Re: Mods

Postby Dizz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:16 pm

roberte wrote:This car sure 'aint standard! The previous owner modified tons of stuff. The auction brokers didn't provide a full translation of the auction report and I ended up with much more than I anticipated (some stuff good, some bad), but that's a whole other day's story! Suffice to say it's got a Tom's ECU and I'm stuck with it.
Or am I? Anyone revert back to a standard/mappable ECU? Is it possible? Expensive?

R.

I'd say your most cost effective thing to do would be to put an Apexi Power FC into it & get it mapped by a good tuner, that way it'll be all set for the Irish fuel & for what ever mods are on it ;)

differshane
Trc On!

Postby differshane » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:38 pm

my car done the exact same thing when i went to view it when cold with the chock on everything was grand but once warmed up and given a rev it would drop down and die out,

i was told to walk away by quite a few people including members from here so i jumped back in the car and went to look again i bought it figured it was a simple problem seen as im a mechanic,

when i got home i was servicing the car put the socket and rachet into remove the plugs and they were loose :shock: so i carryed on with the service and refitted the plugs and tightened them up car ran perfect and has done since, 8)

might be worth a shot mate ten min job just incase

sim-sxe10
Trc On!

Postby sim-sxe10 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:38 pm

jesus will you're having no luck with the altezza hunt are ya? ive a fresh blue minter id let go if you can't find one!

Bobby
South East Rep

Re: Mods

Postby Bobby » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:38 pm

roberte wrote:This car sure 'aint standard! The previous owner modified tons of stuff. The auction brokers didn't provide a full translation of the auction report and I ended up with much more than I anticipated (some stuff good, some bad), but that's a whole other day's story! Suffice to say it's got a Tom's ECU and I'm stuck with it.

R.

your sure its a tom's ecu? there's a tom's ecu in my 280t and the car runs grand with octane booster. the prolex crowd in england are ment to be getting the software off tom's in japan as they are official dealers for tom's stuff. i was on to them only a month or two ago, havent heard anythin back off them yet do. you should try the octane booster do and see if it makes a difference. if not then your best bet would be an apexi power fc :)
I BEG TO DIFF-ER!!

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:15 pm

your sure its a tom's ecu

Well, that's what it says on the plate under the bonnet. :) How would I tell for sure?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a go. Waiting on a new clutch kit at the moment, so I'll ask them to look at it too if it's still giving trouble by then.

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:32 pm

if you take the ecu out of the ecu plastic box. it should say toms on it. could just be a toms sticker! stick up a pic and we can compare it to Bobby's

edit: should look like this:

shakey
Altezza Guru

Postby shakey » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:48 am

by any chance is there an air fuel controller in it,
have 1 in mine and it cause this problem to cut out

or when i first when to view my car i had same prop let it run for a while then she would start shaking and die..had to replace tappits and valves and she ran away perfect then

roberte
Trc Off

E5 Petrol

Postby roberte » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:18 pm

Filled up with E5 at the weekend from Maxol, and I must say the engine is running far, far happier now. No idling problem anymore and runs much smoother at lower revs. I'm shocked at the difference it made. I'm just glad that E5 is priced the same as ordinary unleaded. I'll be filling up in Maxol in future!
Just wondering though, I might be doing some travelling over to England. Is there an equivalent over there?

BTW, the is the ECU inside the bolt-down box at the front-right side of the engine bay? Had a quick look around but couldn't find it. Pity there isn't a Haynes manual for the Altezza..

R.

Dizz
Site Admin

Postby Dizz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:32 pm

As far as I know there's no E5 over in UK so you'd need to use Premium (Super unleaded) or V-Power...

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:08 pm

they have 99 ron fuels over there in most garages. expensive though

Bobby
South East Rep

Re: E5 Petrol

Postby Bobby » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:02 pm

roberte wrote:
BTW, the is the ECU inside the bolt-down box at the front-right side of the engine bay? Had a quick look around but couldn't find it. Pity there isn't a Haynes manual for the Altezza..

R.

yea thats the one just take the cover off it and have a look down the side. there is a pipe bringing warm air up from the rad to the ecu box you cant miss it.
I BEG TO DIFF-ER!!

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”