Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Fitting an HKS SLD?

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
dezzah
Trc Off

Fitting an HKS SLD?

Postby dezzah » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:27 am

Just purchased myself this SLD http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160482267910

Just wondering about fitting - I assume I'll be getting exactly whats in the picture so has anyone fitted one before? Its only four wires so surely can't be that tricky :?

Also can anyone confirm if this converts to mph for me? Not bothered if it doesn't as I've kinda got used to km/h now (although after using my bro's satnav at the weekend I now realise how out the Tezza's speedo is - 125km/h on the speedo = 70mph on the satnav!) :lol:
1999 RS200Z Blue. Kakimoto Exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, TODA Racing Flywheel, Tein Coilovers, Advans RG Alloys, TRD shortshift, Räzo knob, Nardi Classic Steering Wheel, Recaro seat, Walboro GSS342, Power Enterprise air filter.
Coming soon: Rotrex C30-64 Supercharger, Caldina GT-T Injectors, Power FC

stevie_
Trc Off

Re: Fitting an HKS SLD?

Postby stevie_ » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 pm

are you sure it'll fit? :s like i said at JAE, there's 4 types available and none were listed as fitting the altezza.

nivek
Trc Off

Postby nivek » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 pm

stevie_ wrote:are you sure it'll fit? :s like i said at JAE, there's 4 types available and none were listed as fitting the altezza.

doesnt convert anything just removes 180k speed limit. dont think dat one will work but u can get a sld for an altezza anyway. simple fit . not even ten mins to do.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it
because the only people who really know where it is
are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:54 pm

I did a bit of research and as far as I can work out the Type I is for manuals (4 wires) and the Type II is for automatics (12 wires), the Type III and IV's are for specific cars... I assume that since the one I brought looks different to the ones listed in shops now (although it still says Type I) that its just an older version :)

I guess I'll find out when it arrives, otherwise it'll be going back on ebay :lol:
1999 RS200Z Blue. Kakimoto Exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, TODA Racing Flywheel, Tein Coilovers, Advans RG Alloys, TRD shortshift, Räzo knob, Nardi Classic Steering Wheel, Recaro seat, Walboro GSS342, Power Enterprise air filter.

babyeater690
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby babyeater690 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:28 pm

just get an rsm dose the same thing only easyer
Do De Donut :P!!!!!

stevie_
Trc Off

Postby stevie_ » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:38 pm

let me know how you get on mate, as i still need one for mine.

andy t
Trc Off

Postby andy t » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 pm

did you get a diagram ?
if not then google it & get it,,, its fairly handy, just take your time & make sure you use the right wires !

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Not got a diagram yet... I'll have a look tomorrow.

I'll take some installation pics though and post them up. Although only if it works, of course :lol:

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Well I fitted it today... But haven't had a chance to test yet :lol: Once I do (and if it works) I'll post up my guide complete with pics and everything!

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Here is how I fitted the HKS SLD Type I to my manual Altezza:

Firstly you will need a HKS SLD. I took a punt on a Type I that I found on ebay as having been removed from a Mitsubishi GTO which I won for £50. It was the older model:

As the new ones have DIP switches and look like this:

I used bullet connectors which I crimped onto all the ends (as I wasn't sure if it would work or not).

This is the wiring diagram I used:

And this is the ECU end (pinouts from Apexi RSM pdf here: http://www.apexi.co.jp/pdf/products/rsm_wiring_e.pdf:

To which I worked out the following:

I then cut all the relevant wires (bit scary!) and crimped the bullet connectors:

Then wrapped them in electrical tape:

And put the lid back on:

Task complete! :D

Mar '14 - Edited links so they work
Last edited by dezzah on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

choopz
Altezza Guru

Postby choopz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Nice job, keep up the good work :wink:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:21 am

This may be a stupid question but now I have a Power FC, I assume I don't need the SLD any more? :oops: :D

I'm still not actually sure if it worked as never got the chance to test (a couple of weeks after this my supercharger broke!)

mikeb
Trc Off

Postby mikeb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Does a speedometer converter (km to mph) not bypass the factory speed limiter? The one I purchased said that it did, but then I don't see how it can as it's only fitted behind the speedo, so I'd have thought that the ECU still sees the original signal? :?

i-vtec
Noob!

Postby i-vtec » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:03 pm

I just installed Is200 Cluster and had to link earth to power the illumination on the cluster, tested it with GPS
and MPH readings are correct, All working good. :D

I also have the HKS SLD De-limiter off another car of mine, it worked on my previous Jap Car.

Can someone advise what the Altezza's are restricted to. :?:

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Aha so you'd be able to answer the questions (good/bad points) I posted in the last post of this thread? http://www.tezzaworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9425 :D

Aren't all JDM cars limited by law to 180kmh (112mph)?

I think if you have the later HKS SLD Type I there are some DIP switch settings you may need to change before installing...

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”