Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

air mass meter reading

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
D1 RWD
Trc On!

air mass meter reading

Postby D1 RWD » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:06 pm

can anyone tell me what a good working mas meter should read on a diagnostic machine ?

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Re: air mass meter reading

Postby Robin H » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:35 pm

how do you mean

volts wise ??
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

rnd_audio
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby rnd_audio » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 pm

engine cold, not that it should make a difference....
idle 1335rpm........1645mv
2000rpm.......1840mv
3000rpm.......2125mv
3500rpm......2210mv

thats all ill rev my car when its cold.... this is with no load...

a good sign that its gone is warm the car up good, in 5th or sixth gear full trothol from 1500rpm is it breaks down about 2500/3000 rpm it more than likly the air flow meter, by brake down i mean its like a miss fire.

hope this helps

Tyres are evil and must be punished :)

elijah
Noob!

Postby elijah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:24 am

rnd_audio wrote:engine cold, not that it should make a difference....
2000rpm.......1840mv
3000rpm.......2125mv
3500rpm......2210mv

a good sign that its gone is warm the car up good, in 5th or sixth gear full trothol from 1500rpm is it breaks down about 2500/3000 rpm it more than likly the air flow meter, by brake down i mean its like a miss fire.

hope this helps

Great tip! Recently, me and my friend we're both making a guide on how to check each part and we don't have a clue on how to check the air mass meter if it is still in good condition. Thanks to your post, now we're be able to check if it's working properly. Thanks again for sharing it!

beltofawetfish
Trc Off

Postby beltofawetfish » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:26 am

elijah wrote:
rnd_audio wrote:engine cold, not that it should make a difference....
2000rpm.......1840mv
3000rpm.......2125mv
3500rpm......2210mv

hope this helps

Great tip! Recently, me and my friend we're both making a guide on how to check each part and we don't have a clue on how to check the air mass meter if it is still in good condition. Thanks to your post, now we're be able to check if it's working properly. Thanks again for sharing it!

Hope your goin to share that guide haha
tezzas arent meant to go in straight lines

impartialise
Trc Off

Postby impartialise » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:49 am

beltofawetfish wrote:
Hope your goin to share that guide haha

x2,

Particularly interested in how to check the lambda sensors.
Good luck with it !

rnd_audio
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby rnd_audio » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:40 am

ok get slighty off topic but the lamda sensor is prop one of the easiest sensors to check..
you either have 2 or 4 wires on tezza they are 4 to of these ( the two that are the same colour are the heater circuit) you dont need to bother with these really but if u want to check it just do a resistance check with a mulit meter. now the other two wires one is a earth the other is a pulse wire that goes back to the ecu, now are normal multi meter will check this but is not ideal, the voltage between the two wires should be between 0.1 to 0.9 volts and hear is the tricky part the voltage varies between these two voltages regulary if you rev the car to 2500k the voltage should do one loop 0.1 to 0.9 and back to 0.1 in 2 secs if its slower is broken also this should be done when the engine is hot. alot those voltages are guidelines if is only goint to 0.2 to 0.8 is still ok, if its not moving at all its broken ... just make sure you have a good connection so you dont miss dianoise the fauly...

impartialise
Trc Off

Postby impartialise » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:11 pm

OK thanks RND.
i read an article about testing them, and there's one type that should definitely not be 'multimetered' as doing so can damage the sensor itself. Glad we don't have these ones in our cars then.
Mines an auto and has two (both 4 wire i think) so i'll def check them as soon as i get chance
Thanks for info :)

rnd_audio
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby rnd_audio » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:17 pm

yep the artical was ryt its a broadband sensor 5/6 wire... only in very mordern cars or high proformance one fitted as a after market.. any way the front sensor is the only one you need to test. the one between the manafold and the cat, the one after the cat is only to test the cat efficiency. of if its there :) the back one should be a striaght line or a steady voltage about .6 volts constant again only when its hot. the front one will do all the moveing as i explained earlier if u have no cat the back sensor will be a copy of the front sensor this is how the ecu tell if u have taken out the cat and thros up the engine managment light.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”