Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

starter

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
m_0_m_0
Tezza Fanatic!

starter

Postby m_0_m_0 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:33 pm

hi people,

im in need of a starter motor, ive called toyota quoted me 293 + vat....... does anyone know if a starter from a 3sge engine in a mr2\celica etc would also work or are they specific??? got me wondering as ive seen some for a lot less 2nd hand. am gonna try give the solenoid a clean this weekend hoepfully it'l work. doesnt start anymore :(

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Re: starter

Postby lanigan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Any auto elecs near you that could refurb it for ya? new solenoids/brushes/etc wouldnt be that expensive :wink: Dizz should be able to point you towards a decent place in dublin

m_0_m_0
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby m_0_m_0 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:52 pm

mate dublins miles away, i need one in the midlands uk, i wish i was up near dublin seems like theres a lot more tezz's about, their a rare sight round here which is a good thing althoughs theres hundreds of is200's flying about

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Sorry im mixing you up with another member :oops: :lol:

Look for an auto elec or scrap yard with one though, save a few quid

Or even xnickx on here might sort you out for the right money?

m_0_m_0
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby m_0_m_0 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:40 pm

no bother, will check locals, might try give it a clean up this weekend. will give nick a shout too cheers

alimac
Trc Off

Postby alimac » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:07 am

Is it definitely the starter, or is it just the contacts in the starter solenoid. If it goes click when you turn the key, chances are it's the contacts, and any auto electrician should be able to do it. It's a fairly common problem. I had to get mine done this year
98 RS200z 6MT

dmcgarry
Altezza Guru

Postby dmcgarry » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:45 pm

mine went this morning, is it the same as the 6 cylinder engine or are they different for the 2??
never argue with an idiot... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience... :D

http://www.irishkenpo.com
http://www.mmaireland.com

m_0_m_0
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby m_0_m_0 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:50 pm

i think according to your explanation it could be the contacts,it goes click n doesnt do anything,but if u whack the starter whilst turnin it fires up.in the mornin its worst bein cold.i tried this mornin it was dead so left it at home.my old man started it up afta midday and afta 2clicks and no presuasion it started.i got a number for a auto electricians might pay him a visit ifi hav no luck cleanin it.

markrs200
Limerick Rep

Postby markrs200 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Its definately your solonoid get it reconed and youll have no more problems
02 rs200.full trd kit, 18 inch ultralite gt2,toms spoiler,cusco H braces front and rear,cusco front strut brace,stoptect front discs&pads,full hks exhaust& decat,hks pannel filter,ngk irridiumplugs,hid kit ,toms eye brows,jdm front lights with angel eyes,trd decals on doors,leather interior,apexi rsm,lg dvd,sat nav,trd fioor mats ,fast road clutch +lightened flywheel lowerned 40mm,falcon evo 4+ alarm trd rad +oil cap Cusco front & rear arb's 201.6 bhp+211 torque

m_0_m_0
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby m_0_m_0 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 pm

sorted,opened up the starter last night gave it a good clean the contacts were worn and dirty but not totally gone,cleaned and put bak together tested and starts first time.gona get some new contacts and plunger off ebay and replace some time but for now its all gud happy drivin again

m_0_m_0
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby m_0_m_0 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:17 pm

i eat my words lasted 2days and its stuck again grrr definately those contacts ive found i chap on ebay that does contacts and plunger kits hopefully to repair it but he cant find the denso part number gona hav to take out the starter again pain in the bum coz i need my car for work grrr again oh well gotta be done

Pongo23
Trc On!

Postby Pongo23 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:45 am

My car just started the clicking...and it doesnt start unless i bang start it... :( ... the battery is fine but it jus clicks when i swing the key...can anyone point me to getting a starter repair kit...brushes etc.or are these brushes standard?

spudz86
Trc On!

Postby spudz86 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:01 am

if it just clicks its prob not the solenoid, the solenoid only engages the starter into the ring gear and acts as a big relay for the motor part of the starter. if it was dead you would prob hear a whirring noise. it can only be a loose contact from the battery or the ignition (this is unlikely because it would make a couple of clicks one after another in the space of 2 secs) or the actual motor itself.

if the starter was fine and suddenly it just stopped working its a wiring problem.

if the brushes are worn in the motor it should have been a bit iffy for a few days... if you tap the side of the starter (not the solenoid) a couple of times it should start but you can only do this 3 r 4 times. worth noting if you are a bit mean to your clutches the brushes can become blocked with clutch fibre and will not make contact to spin the motor.

toyota starter.jpg
toyota starter.jpg (16.2 KiB) Viewed 757 times

in the pic if you run a heavy wire (jump lead) from the positive pole of the batt and touch M you should hear the motor spinning this would mean the brushes are ok, and the relay part of the solenoid is dead, replace the solenoid

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OUT OF GEAR BEFORE YOU GO MESSIN AROUND WITH THE STARTER OR YOU WILL NEED A NEW FRONT FOR THE CAR AND CRUTCHES IF YOU SURVIVE!!!

have fun!
220 horses and 1 ass!

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Martin Ffrench has 2 for sale here

http://www.tezzaworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5997
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”