Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

blacktop beams throttle body conversion kit

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
VanCityBeams93
Noob!

blacktop beams throttle body conversion kit

Postby VanCityBeams93 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:50 pm

Hey guys so as you all know the beams throttle body is 75% electronic and super laggy. I've been looking at conversion kits and their super expensive for what you get and I feel like it's a rip off . Main question is if you can do this by yourself without this kit and if anyone has done it ? Cheers :)

tommysheen
Trc Off

Re: blacktop beams throttle body conversion kit

Postby tommysheen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:06 am

I think someone here tried it before but don't think it worked out. There's the kit you can buy on rhdjapan http://www.rhdjapan.com/premium-japan-t ... tezza.html

VanCityBeams93
Noob!

Postby VanCityBeams93 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:09 pm

tommysheen wrote:I think someone here tried it before but don't think it worked out. There's the kit you can buy on rhdjapan http://www.rhdjapan.com/premium-japan-t ... tezza.html

I think I've heard about that. I know people tried just wondering who succeeded haha . I'm not very keen on spending 400 dollars on something so little

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:59 pm

The other thing you can do is try and get a import company to get one for you, I've seem them on yahoo auctions for as cheap as about £20 iirc

But if you have a search on here I think someone did manage to do the conversion there self but still had problems with the tps

There's also this if it's any help to you I remember reading it but can't remember if it's any help http://www.tezzaworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=12411

If you do go for it let us know how you get on as it's something I want to do myself but don't want to risk breaking my throttle body and having to shell out for a new one

Protok
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Protok » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:48 am

I've seen it done before using the 4AGE TPS and the 4AGE Blacktop ITBs.

Guy ended up going for a standalone afterwards though cause having ITBs in an airbox was blasphemy.

VanCityBeams93
Noob!

Postby VanCityBeams93 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:26 am

Oh boy this is gonna be tough . I don't really want to do anything by myself because if I mess up it will be super hard to find another throttle body :? Hopefully someone succeeds with this and can help us out haha

Celica RA45
Trc Off

Postby Celica RA45 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:02 am

i have 4 throttle body plenums over here if you stuff it

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:12 am

When I've got abit more money I may just try and source another throttle body and give the conversion ago myself and report back, atleast I'm not the only one sick of the shitty throttle response :)

tais300
Trc On!

Postby tais300 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:33 am

Celica RA45 wrote:i have 4 throttle body plenums over here if you stuff it
:lol:
I'd stuff mine but I'm going boost, response would be nuts with turbo and itbs but tuning would be a nightmare! How about a single large throttle and manifold combo Glenn?

Protok
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Protok » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:29 am

tais300 wrote:I'd stuff mine but I'm going boost, response would be nuts with turbo and itbs but tuning would be a nightmare!

Why would it be a nightmare?
I've got ITBs and turbo on mine and tuning is no harder than usual.

VanCityBeams93
Noob!

Postby VanCityBeams93 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:46 pm

ThatGuy wrote:When I've got abit more money I may just try and source another throttle body and give the conversion ago myself and report back, atleast I'm not the only one sick of the shitty throttle response :)

Yes thank you I'm sure a lot of people want to know also haha. Just sick of the throttle response . Gonna be boosting her next year would be nice to get the throttle sorted out.

tais300
Trc On!

Postby tais300 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:44 am

bey protok, i envy tour turbo/itb setup. most tuning ive seen is map or ve based making it simple. th reason i said tuning must be a nightmare is wouldnt you have to tune on a 4d map with tps x rpm with an map base as well? also what ems are you using? i would want a single mechanical throttle for ease of tuning, but also for some extra power.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Ive done it, its pretty straight forward. cant remember how its done though! you take the spindle off and turn it 90 degrees IIRC, need to shorten the cable and hey ho. take the gear out of the other end too so that the motor doesnt spin anything.

I didnt think it made much difference to be honest and went back to normal throttle in the end.

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:21 am

That's interesting Tosh! So you were running 100% cable throttle and all original TPS, ECU etc but it didn't really give much improvement to the response? Maybe the issue isn't actually the throttle then and it is something else holding it back? ECU or something?

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:11 pm

I would if thought it would improve the response, as from what I can tell the lag comes from the throttle body motor. But I could be wrong as I haven't done the conversion

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”