Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

how to get rid of a/c?

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Flex
Altezza Guru

Postby Flex » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:48 pm

beams wrote:every bit helps, its not like i use it anyway...

It's like what Tezzy said just leave it switched off. The weight reduction you will get will not be worth it on a really hot or rainy day, believe me you will miss it then. Unless you are planning to build a drag car that you will not be using everyday. If not just remember it will devalue your car when you decide to sell. Just my 2 cents on the topic :)
(HSI) Handle Speed Intelligently

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Seriously don't bother. I did it and it made no difference. The Compressor only weights about 6kg or so and the rad and pipes weight nothing. Have ended up putting it back in.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:08 pm

every bit helps, its not like i use it anyway...

I wouldnt be without it....

elexes
Altezza Guru

Postby elexes » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:37 pm

take it out . if you dont like it it wont bother you and it will be a bit lighter. i never used my ac at all so i didnt mind. might make selling the car a bit harder but who cares

if you add that weight save to a cf boot/bonnet/rear doors and take out the sterio and speakers it adds up a good bit.
if ive helped you in anyway vote for carlow to be the first tezzaworld drinking session

Flex
Altezza Guru

Postby Flex » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:52 pm

elexes wrote:take it out . if you dont like it it wont bother you and it will be a bit lighter. i never used my ac at all so i didnt mind. might make selling the car a bit harder but who cares

if you add that weight save to a cf boot/bonnet/rear doors and take out the sterio and speakers it adds up a good bit.

What are you encouraging :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Street racers :roll: :roll: ..................... :lol: :lol: :lol:
(HSI) Handle Speed Intelligently

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:46 pm

:lol: I remember when I bought my first car & guys telling me to take to A/C out as it would make my car faster. One of my mates did & all it did was make him hot in summer & unable to clear his windscreen in winter. Why buy a lexus if you're going to ruin it like that?? You'd be better off buying a carbon bonnet if you want to save a bit of weight. The factory ones weigh a ton

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:27 am

You'd be better off buying a carbon bonnet if you want to save a bit of weight. The factory ones weigh a ton

Totally agree 100%...less arsing & quicker result.....

elexes
Altezza Guru

Postby elexes » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 am

E910 wrote::lol: I remember when I bought my first car & guys telling me to take to A/C out as it would make my car faster. One of my mates did & all it did was make him hot in summer & unable to clear his windscreen in winter. Why buy a lexus if you're going to ruin it like that?? You'd be better off buying a carbon bonnet if you want to save a bit of weight. The factory ones weigh a ton

didnt buy a lexus :p
its very easy to clear a windscreen during the winter. you just have to know why it happens

On a cool, rainy morning, the air inside your car is similar to the air outside your car: heavy with moisture. When you enter the car and close the door, before you even start the engine you start inhaling and exhaling. That first breath you exhale is full to the brim with water vapour - at body temperature and this air pressure, it literally can't hold any more water.

Which is a problem, because air's capacity to hold water varies with temperature and pressure. That's why it's humid in the tropics (warm, higher pressure air can hold more water) and dry in the mountains (cold, lower pressure air holds less water.)

When the warm, moist air from your lungs meets the cold, moist air already in the car, the air from your lungs cools down, which leaves the water vapour from your lungs with nowhere to go. The water vapour solves this problem by condensing on the nearest and coldest surface, which in a cold car on a cool morning, is the cold windscreen in front of you.

The worst demisting solutions

Now you understand why the windscreen fogs up, it's much easier to see why some demisting strategies work better than others. For instance, if you rub the screen with your sleeve to remove some of the condensed water vapour, more vapour will condense from your next breath and mist it right back up again.

Wind down your windows and let more cold, moist air into the car, and it will still fog up since you're probably opening it just a little. If you open the windows enough so that the breeze is strong enough to stop your warm, moist breath reaching the windscreen, that'll work, but you'll wish you brought your scarf, and you'll still have those first few breaths stuck in place on the windscreen.

Likewise, if you just open an air vent or two, you're not doing enough to shift the warm, moist breath and doing nothing to remove the water already on the screen. I've seen some people turn on the recycled air function on the dash, thinking they're doing the right thing by keeping the cold, moist air out. While this slightly increases the air pressure inside the car, slightly increasing the water-carrying capacity of the air in the car, any water vapour that 'needs' to condense will still seek out the cold windscreen.

buying a cf bonet costs. taking something out of the car is free :)
if ive helped you in anyway vote for carlow to be the first tezzaworld drinking session

beams
Noob!

Postby beams » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:04 am

yez are probley rite, mite luk for carbon bonnet. but mate i didnt buy a lexus i bought a toyota :lol: :lol:

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 pm

shakey wrote:
elexes wrote:think i have the lightweight model altezza tbh

would yours be lighter than normal even with all the work done to it??

Yea but along with that weight is a big increase in power... ok not everything like inside the car but you know what i mean, the engione parts more than make up for the weight they add and at the end of the day you may have a car that weighs the same but has a lot more power, whereas with a normal tezza (not stripped) with all that gear would weigh more IMO
Kerry Rep

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”