Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Noisy exhaust

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Rob
Altezza Guru

Noisy exhaust

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:28 pm

Trying to tame the beast a bit - the cabin noise is quite loud at the moment. For long motorway drives it can be quite fatiguing. I was thinking of swapping the cat back for a HKS-Hi power silent, but before I did, I decided to try the factory cat-back for a bit, just to see what difference it would make, but it didn't make much at all! The only part of the exhaust that's not the original part now at the moment is the exhaust manifold/downpipe, the middle section is back to the factory cat as well.
Lucky I did try, as I would have been wasting my money on a cat back that would make no difference. I didn't think that an aftermarket exhaust manifold would be that much louder?
I have checked the middle and rear joints for leaks and couldn't see any. I'm going to check the front soon, but it's harder to get up the ramps as the front bumper tends to hit them.
I have a pack of Dynamat sound deadening on order so that might help.
I was wondering if anyone else noticed a big increase in noise when they replaced their exhaust manifold?

R.

FT2DFLR
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby FT2DFLR » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm

not sure if its gonna make much difference but i'm going to try heat wrap my manifold to see if it will make it a bit quieter, not the main reason for the heat wrap but hopefully an added bonus, will let you know if it makes any difference

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:39 pm

FT2DFLR wrote:not sure if its gonna make much difference but i'm going to try heat wrap my manifold to see if it will make it a bit quieter, not the main reason for the heat wrap but hopefully an added bonus, will let you know if it makes any difference

Should have said - mine's already heatwrapped!

R.

aln
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby aln » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Rob wrote:
FT2DFLR wrote:not sure if its gonna make much difference but i'm going to try heat wrap my manifold to see if it will make it a bit quieter, not the main reason for the heat wrap but hopefully an added bonus, will let you know if it makes any difference

Should have said - mine's already heatwrapped!

R.

Your welcome to come over here and take off mine and put that on yours.. also put yours on mine :D

:A:
I want to go fast...

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:22 pm

I lifted the front of the car, moved back the heatwrapping and lo, there is a slip joint there, before the middle section.

I've been looking at exhaust manifolds on the web, but I can't see any with this sort of arrangement. Anyone else have one of these?

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:33 pm

saw them use them recently on Overhaulin on Discovery Turbo but i thought they were welded aswell. Do you get any blow back coming out of there? Start the car and put your hand over the back of the exhaust. if gases come out this gap i'd get it welded tight. is that the joint between the manifold and centre section?

aln
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby aln » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 pm

Does it not go Exhaust-Manifold (headers) ;) - CAT - Centre piece - Muffler - > out ?

I'd weld it... doesn't look right... (of to LIDL and get one!)

:D
I want to go fast...

aln
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby aln » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:46 pm

btw I know how to weld 8)
I want to go fast...

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:53 pm

aln wrote:btw I know how to weld 8)

Friction welding your tyres to the road doesn't count!

It's at the bottom of the manifold, before the joint to the middle section - you can see where the two pipes join into one (those two branch into four farther up). You can see the lambda sensor is on the rear of the pipe in the picture.

I couldn't detect anything coming out of it whilst idling, there wasn't anyone else around to rev it at the time.

I'm just wondering why it is there, whether or not you'd end up breaking something elsewhere if it was welded up?

R.

aln
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby aln » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:06 am

Rob wrote:
aln wrote:btw I know how to weld 8)

Friction welding your tyres to the road doesn't count!

It's at the bottom of the manifold, before the joint to the middle section - you can see where the two pipes join into one (those two branch into four farther up). You can see the lambda sensor is on the rear of the pipe in the picture.

I couldn't detect anything coming out of it whilst idling, there wasn't anyone else around to rev it at the time.

I'm just wondering why it is there, whether or not you'd end up breaking something elsewhere if it was welded up?

R.

haha... very funny... :roll:
Haven't been driving it since :cry: (HARD) Can't wait for the weekend!!! :D

I'll rev it for you... :twisted:

I'd say you'd get a "better" compression in the exhaust if you weld it, also say that the "raspy" noise out of the exhaust would go :?:

Take it down to my garage man and let him have a look @ it... I'm calling him today to do a once over on mine. 8)
I want to go fast...

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:08 am

The only word of caution I would give about welding it up is that by the looks of that joint i alows for a bit of movement in the joint. By that I mean when the engine moves under acceleration that the movement does not cause the whole exhaust to move which would cause rattles in the system. Does that make sence

The spring seems to be there to keep it tight. Presume there is a spring on the other side too

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:54 am

Rob, if you want to test to see if you have leaks spray a bit of 10W40 spray oil & if there any you will see it bubbling, might smell a bit but does the trick..

aln
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby aln » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:59 pm

Evelyn wrote:Rob, if you want to test to see if you have leaks spray a bit of 10W40 spray oil & if there any you will see it bubbling, might smell a bit but does the trick..

best advice yet :idea:
I want to go fast...

Whop
Trc Off

Postby Whop » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 pm

i had a buddyclub spec 2 exhaust on my civic type r and it was held together like that. used exhaust paste from a motor factors to seal it when i was puttin it on and it never leaked! its a cheap handy fix... no need t weld or anythin.

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Whop wrote:i had a buddyclub spec 2 exhaust on my civic type r and it was held together like that. used exhaust paste from a motor factors to seal it when i was puttin it on and it never leaked! its a cheap handy fix... no need t weld or anythin.

Now there's an idea. Unfotunately it's already on though, so disassembling it might be a bit tricky. I've got a knocking from around the front suspension somewhere, a bushing or something that needs replacing I'd say. I recon I'll leave it in to the garage to sort both problems out.
Just waiting on the 2S-GE engine manual to arrive from NZ first..

R.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”