Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

? 's for soiled (cam/boost related)

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
oaasport
Trc On!

? 's for soiled (cam/boost related)

Postby oaasport » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:56 am

Soiled, props to building the most agressive street altezza ive seen. I look at youe dyno and im like damn! And then i go WHY? The power band hits 7800 rpm and stops! You have a built engine, great fueling and cams and springs. The cam specs on the toda cams should allow you to see 8500rpm. At least ive seen an mr2 with 264 cams hit that i could be way off on an altezza so please correct me if im wrong. Why havent you taken it higher? Does your turbo run out of breath or do your cams not support making power that high? I am loving your build and man if i had the money would copy it almost exactly. I hope you know im not criticizing you, you actually inspired me to build a beams engine. Please tell me more so my two year old why instict will go away!

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Re: ? 's for soiled (cam/boost related)

Postby Soiled » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:31 am

Turbo exhaust housing is too small for more, but makes for a nice car to drive on the street.

So the answer is compromise. Nothing more :)

oaasport
Trc On!

Postby oaasport » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:33 pm

Good enough answer! Do you think the cams you have and a bigger ar housing or even slightly larger turbo you could spin it higher to say 8500rpm? Im curious because i dont want to buy parts that wont work with the rest of the engine. I want to keep vvti (spool aid) but want a higher redline to take the advantage of the customrlonger rods im having built

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:06 pm

Easily.

What's your goal for the car? Daily, weekend street, drag strip, track, dyno queen?

oaasport
Trc On!

Postby oaasport » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:56 pm

Goal is to build a responsive time attack car. Also going to run it a mile long top speed run. This is the need for the high rpms. Gearing is so short in the tezza trans, rpms are needed to improve top speed, but also reaponse is needed because the car has to start under its own power. When im on the track im going to run short gearing

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:33 pm

I'd be tempted to run something similar to a Garret Gtx3582r with a. 64 housing at around 1 to 1.2 bar.

Or a gtx3076 with a .8 rear housing at 1.8 bar.

And if it's going to be a dedicated time attack car I'd get rid of the factory gearbox and go for an r154 and also change the diff, so your gearing will be completely different anyway.

Factory gearbox/diff are fine for street and ooccasional track days but would probably give up in a dedicated time attack car.

These are only my thoughts and ideas on what I'd personally do different, so take them with a pinch of salt as you should with anything from the internet and discuss it with your tuner aswell :)

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”