Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

IS300 - Fully Converted to RHD - BEAMS Motor - Driving Issues HELP!!!!!!!

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
BMP
Noob!

IS300 - Fully Converted to RHD - BEAMS Motor - Driving Issues HELP!!!!!!!

Postby BMP » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:10 am

Hello IS Fam

Well, I happened to come across quite the gem the other day and decided to pick it up. It is basically an IS300 that is completely converted to an Altezza (Right hand drive and all :) ). Now when it is WOT it completely dies out and bogs terribly. When I give it partial throttle (75% or so) It struggles but can reach the redline. can anyone help me with diagnosing these symptoms? These engines are basically non exsistent in the US and it is becoming quite frustrating. I've attached a youtube vid to show you exactly what is happening.

Disregard the empty fuel tank, it has half a tank in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiqxEGoiChI&feature=youtu.be

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: IS300 - Fully Converted to RHD - BEAMS Motor - Driving Issues HELP!!!!!!!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:53 am

Cant help to much with this but I would recommend cleaning the MAF and removing all the throttle body/plenum to clean it all out and then do an ECU reset by removing the battery overnight as a starting point to see if anything changes. Bear in mind that you will get some funny idling and revving for the first 25-50 miles of driving after a reset but that things should sort themselves after that.

If you get issues still after that, I would then bridge the OBD2 pin and see if it has registered any new fault codes ;)

BMP
Noob!

Postby BMP » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Thank you for your input, I have done some extensive research and I learned I have the first generation motor (G1 Sticker on Timing Cover) which can only utilize the 90919-02236 Coil pack and the vehicle has the 90919-02239 coils. I guess the previous owner thought they were all interchangeable. I believe this is whats causing the car to run extremely rich and sputter like there is no tomorrow. What do you guys think?

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:28 am

Not 100% sure on that one but if it helps, my engine has the G1 sticker and it is running the 90919-02236 coil packs ;)

That is very useful information if it turns out to be the case! :) Update this thread after you know for sure please! ;)

oaasport
Trc On!

Postby oaasport » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Nice job on finding that. Im from the usa as well anf this is more of a common motor than youd think. This engine is a high compression motor did you ever think to get the ecu remapped for 91 octane fuel? This engine is made for 95 or 98 ron. Our equivalent here would be 93 octane so unless you live in texas id be very careful. The miss could be knock id be careful or aleast octane booster

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:45 pm

not sure if G1 does mean generation 1 but there was a "facelift" version. It was in late 01 IIRC. So the engines before 2001 use the 36 coilpack and post 2001 uses the other coils. They are definitely not interchangeable, I tried it a while ago and blew a pack after 10 mins. It's a bit of a pain tbh, the 36 coils cost nearly double.

Good shout on the fuel, that is something worth looking into

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”