Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

anyone running a watter cooled turbo?

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Tosh21
Altezza Guru

anyone running a watter cooled turbo?

Postby Tosh21 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:46 am

Im running a water cooled turbo and wastegate. at the moment only the wastegate is getting water as the turbo is blocked off so I can drive it. The water returns to top heater hose. However I've noticed everything gets VERY hot. All the water hoses are too hot to touch and the heater matrix is so hot I'm scared it will melt. I can feel the heat radiating onto my feet even when the blowers are off. Engine bay is pretty dam hot too. I did expect it to be hotter with the water going through the wastegate obviously but it just seems a bit too hot. the car is stripped too but it was never that hot before. The water temp gauge sits in the middle too even in traffic it doesn't rise. Am I just being a bit too paranoid? I'm thinking about cutting in some louvers or some sort of vent into the bonnet to drag the heat out but I hate how they look

oaasport
Trc On!

Re: anyone running a watter cooled turbo?

Postby oaasport » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:41 am

Ran both water cooled gate and turbo on my 240sx. Extra hot parts make water hotter, i ran an upgraded radiator external oil cooler on my 240sx. I did first what you did, ran them to the jeater hose. It got HOT inside the cab. My tuner laughed at me after close to getting heat stroke. Told me dont route the hose to the heater feed line, tee into the return line so it will get cooled by the radiator. This way nothing inside gets too hot. I after thia installed the oil cooler. Cooler oil in the turbo will help cool down the water as they work in sequence

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Re: anyone running a watter cooled turbo?

Postby Tosh21 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:41 am

I wasn't sure which hose was return and which was feed so just chose one. I'll try swap em round and see if it helps. Have been thinking about an oil cooler, will have to fit one now!

Thanks

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”