ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

Clicking/rattle noise when engine is running

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
ronniehq93
Noob!

Clicking/rattle noise when engine is running

Postby ronniehq93 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:15 am

How's it, guys?
Ok, so, when I start my Tezza like the first start of the day, there's a clickin' noise together with the rev. I let it idle, the noise goes away when the engine is warmed up (you can actually hear the noise reducing) 'till it's silent on idle. But when you rev it, the noise simultaneously increases, I drove 'round with this noise for a while and even attended a show with it. Nothin' happened but it bothers and worries me and I wanna know if it's harmful and all. I tried searchin' for it on forums but seems like the results I get are for like piston bearin' noises and all, but the noise on mine seems like it's comin' from the top of the engine and not the bottom like on the results. I can post a video or a link to the video I made. And sorry if there's been a post relatin' exactly to a problem like this, but I couldn't find it. Need help, thanks. Oh, yeah, the engine is a 3S.
Ronnie Ahmed_______________________________________________________________________

Toyota Altezza 1999 - White
Done up by Team 5Zigen in Japan

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Clicking/rattle noise when engine is running

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:59 am

Post the video up and that will help.

Did you see my thread about this from earlier this year? That was more of a knock noise and started out as just when revving or when idling high in the cold mornings. It also seemed like it was coming from the top but it was deceiving and actually it was a big end bearing (on rod n°1).

How many miles/kms has your Tezza done?

ronniehq93
Noob!

Postby ronniehq93 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:04 am

Upload finally done, lol
Here's the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aYqtVMvBzqg

Well, I knocked my old engine that did 'bout K140,000+ and this engine I've put is from another Altezza that had an accident
I don't know 'bout this one
The ironic part is the old engine also made the same noise, I thought it's just the accessories (like the alternator, power steerin' pump and all) 'cause I used the accessories from the old engine on this other one
Ronnie Ahmed_______________________________________________________________________

ronniehq93
Noob!

Postby ronniehq93 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:23 pm

any ideas yet?

oaasport
Trc On!

Postby oaasport » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:42 am

I can make put the whining of the cam gears but the knocking noise i slightly hear in the background sounds hollow. If its a hollow knock it.means dont drive it and get your bottom end looked at. If the.knock sounds like a hammer tapping wood its valvetrain related. If it sounds like a hammer tapping on pvc and echoing almost its gonna be your bottom end. Hope this can kinda steer you in a slight direction

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”