Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Oil Control Valve

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
okolatsis
Trc On!

Oil Control Valve

Postby okolatsis » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi All,

My car doesn't seem to be hitting VVTI, once I get the magic point it starts kangarooing and wont go past unless I press slowly on the gas it will eventually get past just.

I have read the oil control valve can get clogged up. can anyone tell me how I can get to this please. I read elsewhere (not sure if its for the Black Top engine) that you can take the casing off the block which has the oil control valve attached, can anyone talk me through this please?

Thanks in advance.

oaasport
Trc On!

Re: Oil Control Valve

Postby oaasport » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:05 pm

Sounds like the vvti solenoid is not working properly. Hows oil pressure? If vvti solenoid is clogged it might be slow to respond

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:18 am

Is you look in this thread it shows one of the solenoids out (exhaust side) and theres a similar one on the other side for the intake side.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezza ... t13195.htm

Basically remove the plastic top cover then theres a 10mm head bolt holding them in. Be careful getting them out though as they are held in with an o ring and can be tight ish but dont force them too much!

There's also a little filter in the housing but too get this oout you need to remove the housing and I think that means pulleys off and cams out (can someone confirm as I cant remember from when I had my engine out?)

matty
Trc On!

Postby matty » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:56 pm

There is a cone filter in the cam housing which could be blocked up if oil changes have been infrequent or worse! You'll need to take the cam caps off and the pulleys. Do them in sequence to avoid damage and make sure you're at tdc before you start.
You could try an oil flush, but i wouldnt unless doing a rebuild. An inspection of the solenoids first might tell you if its an oil feed issue.

okolatsis
Trc On!

Postby okolatsis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks all,

I think i can get the solenold out but that my limit technically, I dont want to mess anything up.
Once out how do i check it exactly?

I will also change the oil, Toyota recommended 10w40, I live in Cyprus its around 40 Degees now in summer, shall i use 5w30?

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”