Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

supercharged altezza q's

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
tommysheen
Trc Off

supercharged altezza q's

Postby tommysheen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi. Iv just bought an altezza with the blitz supercharger kit with a piston melted and I'm just wondering what my options are and should I go for a new block with forged pistons and rods (low comp) or would a new engine with a 1.8mm head gaskit be ok with standard pistons. It's all standard injectors and fuel pump so realistically only looking for reliable 250bhp with a map.

I'm also wondering what ecu to go for and where to buy and get it mapped. I want to do it cheaply but not cut corners I'm a mechanic so understand I'm still probably talking €2000 by the time it's up and running. just looking for good solid facts and suggestions from people with experience. It's the 3sge obviously. Wondering could I use 3sgte block or something. I have searched the forum and Google so have abit of info just looking to see what's here in Ireland to sort me out. Thanks.
sorry for the long essay ha.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Re: supercharged altezza q's

Postby Soiled » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:50 pm

Factory engine should be fine, you'll be maxing out those injectors long before you run into problems with the engine.

It all comes down to the tune, melted piston is probably from running too lean.

Get whatever ecu the tuner you are going to is happy with, but a PowerFC and a Link G4+ are both plug and play full ecus so although they may cost a bit more than others you'll save on wiring.

Make sure you go to a tuner with a good reputation.

tommysheen
Trc Off

Postby tommysheen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

So standard engine with a 1.8mm headgasket and a good mapper. Thinking West cost performance seems good. Any idea of cost? or anything I might need to get it running right because I drove the car before he blew the pistons and the supercharger kicked in really aggressively and almost lik a switch all or nothing and kicked in pretty late. Seems to me like something to do with the wiring of it. Just wondering has anyone any expierence with this problem. Thanks again

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:38 pm

I'd even leave the factory headgasket in.

I'm guessing the supercharger is on a magnetic clutch then, you just need to find what switches it and adjust it. Whether it's a microswitch on your pedal, a certain rpm or load etc.

Even easier just wire it to a switch on your dash to run it permanently on for fun times, then switch off for fuel savings.

Was the previous owner running this on a factory ecu??

As for costs I can't say as I'm in NZ.

tommysheen
Trc Off

Postby tommysheen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks very much I was planning on wiring it to a switch or just wiring it perminantly I'd be happy out with that but would it cause any problems having the supercharger on at idle or when changing gears off throttle if ya know what I mean. Thanks very much for your info

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:43 pm

stever at fc tuning in the uk charges £300 for a remap plus dyno time on a power fc weather it's turbo or N/A. Not sure about supercharger I never asked but I imagine it's similar. Just to give you a rough idea for how much a pfc tune costs so if you get charged like £600 you know something isn't quite right

tommysheen
Trc Off

Postby tommysheen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks for the replys guys.

I spose ill ring around a few tuners and see what sounds the best.

would ye know if the supercharger was wired on perminantly would it affect idle or when throttle is fully closed like when changing gears would it matter that the supercharger is still engaged

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”