Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

High oil pressure.

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
craig2001
Noob!

High oil pressure.

Postby craig2001 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi there,

Not long picked up an Altezza with a bolt on g-ready turbo kit.

I have noticed that the oil gauge on the clock when running is at its maximum I have poked about and found this to be far to high for normal running conditions as I am under the impression it usually sits around the half way mark. the oil temp gauge shows reasonable temps.

There is an aftermarket oil cooler fitted also.

Could anyone shed some light on probable causes/ if there is any common reason for this in the 3sge motor.

The car itself seems to run perfectly even with this issue. what sort of detrimental effects could i expect?

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Re: High oil pressure.

Postby Tosh21 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Could be wrong grade oil. Where is the oil cooler fed from and to? It could be using too small a tube causing a restriction

Celica RA45
Trc Off

Postby Celica RA45 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:12 pm

3sge altezza runs any where from 75 to 100 lbs of oil pressure as it needs to feed the vvti as well as the motor .std oil is 5w-30 weight oil

craig2001
Noob!

Postby craig2001 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:40 am

Thanks for the replies, I had a good run about in it yesterday and at idle it drops to the half way mark as it should but raises to the top mark and floats around there or one bellow when driving.
Due to the vast nature of upgrades it has I think I will souse yet another gauge for the interior for exact oil pressure.
I shall let you know how it pans out.

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:43 am

That does seem high. My standard Tezza sits at just above half when cruising on motorway or driving it and drops down to around a quarter at idle I would say. The normal level for mine on the gauge is pretty much the middle and I would think the gauge is designed with those limits for that reason tbh.

Id check the things that Tosh said and do an oil and filter change as a matter of course anyway so you know its got the right stuff in it and not old and crappy. Which filter has it got fitted by the way? The standard 3SGE one and the longer 3SGTE one both fit. Mine is currently fitted with the longer one as I got it to replace what was fitted when I bought it but when I have changed the next few times I will use the proper length one, I think. The different lengths of filter might have an effect on the oil pressure bvut wouldnt have thought that much and to make it that high tbh! :)

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:02 am

Should sit 2-3 notches below top of factory gauge at motorway speeds. I'd get an aftermarket guage to be more precise with a turbo set up.
Mine sits 2 below top at 3000 rpm / 100 kph in 6th with Motul 300V 5W30.
If the previous owner put an Ester based 50 weight oil in it would increase oil pressure

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”