Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Rocker cover keeps leaking oil

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Rocker cover keeps leaking oil

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:55 pm

As above, its only on the exhaust side just above primary 1. Fitted a new gasket but still leaks. Any ideas?

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Re: Rocker cover keeps leaking oil

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Can't really see in it the picture but the oil is coming out of that area

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:53 am

Apparently the 3SGE suffers from this a lot (and the gasket around the spark plug holes). My mate with the earlier version in his MR2 said the same too.

I was gonna get a new gasket but heard that doesnt always sort it either! So I put some instant gasket in the groove where it sits in the cover and a tiny smear on the gasket face too and reused it.

Ive only run the car on idle last night and driven to work today but so far nothing but I will update with how it goes if a leak does appear. Mine was mostly from exhaust side and near the back too. Worst around where the exhaust camshaft sensor sits.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:25 am

I was tempted to use some gasket sealer but assumed a new gasket would do it! let me know how you get on I'll put some gasket sealer on it if it solves it

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:48 pm

Will do mate :) So far so good but not pushing the engine yet due to running in.

chewse
Trc Off

Postby chewse » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:42 pm

RS Tom-Hundred wrote:Apparently the 3SGE suffers from this a lot (and the gasket around the spark plug holes). My mate with the earlier version in his MR2 said the same too.

I was gonna get a new gasket but heard that doesnt always sort it either! So I put some instant gasket in the groove where it sits in the cover and a tiny smear on the gasket face too and reused it.

Ive only run the car on idle last night and driven to work today but so far nothing but I will update with how it goes if a leak does appear. Mine was mostly from exhaust side and near the back too. Worst around where the exhaust camshaft sensor sits.

also did this a few months ago leaks were coming from the back ...no leaks yet.....seems the trick is to let the gasket maker dry up abit ( about 10-15mins) before re-fitting

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”