ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

commen causes for blue smoke ??

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Ciaranfox09
Trc On!

commen causes for blue smoke ??

Postby Ciaranfox09 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Well lads,

What the most likely cluprit for a puff of blue smoke in the high revs, is it usually stem seals or is it likely to be rings on theese engines (3sge) ?

I know stem seals smoke on start up but it would be nice if it only needed a top end rebuild

Cant be seen while driving no smoke on start up just a puff in the high revs when reved from idle just before the limiter.

I chaned the oil at 207 and the level has hardly changed and it never drops much between changes and the car runs prefect good power.

engine has 209,000km well maintained and new pcv valve running 10w40

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Re: commen causes for blue smoke ??

Postby Tosh21 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Smoking on overrun at high revs is stem seals isn't it? Ring would smoke all the time so sounds like stem seals to me. Rings would constantly smoke and oil consumption would be quite noticeable. A head rebuild is surprisingly easy on the 3sge

Ciaranfox09
Trc On!

Postby Ciaranfox09 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:00 pm

yeah mabey im new to the 3sge i dont mind poping the head off and doing seals gasket skim valves etc,

I just wonder if its off would i be better off putting in a set of new rings while im at it was wondering if anyone on here has had similar problem around this milage with rings wearing etc.

Im goin to do a compression test tomorrow n see if that shows up anything

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:28 am

yah, valve stem seals. it seems like you've been very lucky, and your car has had a good life.

but at 209,000 klms? a minor rebuild couldn't hurt. you could even take the opportunity to upgrade the internals. 8)

Ciaranfox09
Trc On!

Postby Ciaranfox09 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:28 pm

Drove to work today and had a look at it reved the balls off it and no blue smoke at all drove home and same thing no smoke what so ever left it tick over and gave it a rev no smoke dunno whats up with that ?? possible build up of oil in the manifold mabey ??

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:53 pm

I had the same problem in a Twin Cam Corolla. it would blow puffs on gear changes. it was the valve stem seals. a thicker oil might buy you some time. but it's a cheaper fix than some problems.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”