Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Engine oil?

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
starletburkie
Trc Off

Re: Engine oil?

Postby starletburkie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:08 pm

That's the very basic oils probably not even sold now lol the 300v and 8100 are on a different level I'm sure

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:24 pm

RS Tom-Hundred wrote:Cheers for the reply :)

Bugger! I bought a load of the XTR in the end butr i havent done a change yet as I have had this to deal with viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14107
If you have a spare 10mins to look through this thread and can help, Id appreciate any feedback.

When I do get the engine sorted/fit a new engine(!), will the XTR be ok to use or do you strongly discourage it or think it will cause damage?

It's not going to make the engine blow up or anything like that, you might find it's a bit loose/rattly feeling on a high km engine is all. The thinnest oil I've tried in mine was 10.6 cSt, XTR is 10.2. The problem with such a thin 30 weight is after a bit of abuse it will shear back & become a thick 20 weight. I ended up changing that lot after about 8K km. This is why HTHS is so important in a performance engine. What you can do it get a cheap 5W40 like Fuchs SuperSyn & mix 1L of it with the XTR to bring the viscosity up closer to 11 cSt. If you did a 50/50 mix it would result in 11.8 cSt @ 100°C

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks for the advice :) I dont need anymore rattling cos Ive already got the heavy knock and will be having to rebuild at least some of my engine after I had found bits in my sump :(

Annoyingly, I went for the XTR as I read somewhere that the closer to 10, the better so seems that isnt actually the case for me (especially with a higher mileage engine :(

Didnt realise that you could mix different grades of oils though! That's interesting! Are you 100% sure I wouldnt have any problems mixing a litre of 10W40 Supersyn with my 5W30 XTR then?

mikeb
Trc Off

Postby mikeb » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Personally, I'd only mix different grades of the same flavour of oil. Who knows how the different additives and detergents will react with each other? Chances are it'd probably be ok, but why take that chance?

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 pm

RS Tom-Hundred wrote: Didnt realise that you could mix different grades of oils though! That's interesting! Are you 100% sure I wouldnt have any problems mixing a litre of 10W40 Supersyn with my 5W30 XTR then?

You'll have no problems at all mixing 5w40 supersyn with 5w30 xtr, they're both from the same manufacturer so will have very similar additive packs. Most SAE oils can be mixed, if you've ever ventured over the BITOG forums you'll read about guys doing it all the time. I do it myself a lot with the Mrs car. The Altezza just gets Motul 300V 5W30

http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”