Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

A serious question.

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Gojira san
Trc On!

A serious question.

Postby Gojira san » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:13 pm

How much power can the RS200 automatic hold?

chewse
Trc Off

Re: A serious question.

Postby chewse » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:43 am

325 hp? or 325 Kw?

my turbo is good for 450+hp.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:13 pm

If you're doing a build that can support 450hp engine wise you can afford to get clutch plates and torque converter upgraded.

I've only known a couple auto turbo Altezzas and they were all sub 200kW.

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you an exact figure, best way to find out is to do it then upgrade when it gives up.

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:47 am

That's true. if the Auto quits, I will look at an auto from a Celsior. or TT Supra. knowing how much power it can handle helps with planning a budget further along in the build.
My Turbo is a HKS 30/40 (A/R 70) I want to install with the Greddy kit. which I'm sure will melt a weak 'box. :lol:
keeping the original is preffered. so i'll ask my tuning guru about strengthening the AT. target power for daily driving is around 350hp, not stressing the engine too much.

Thanks.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:28 am

350hp on the factory engine May be pushing the rods too.

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 am

Soiled wrote:350hp on the factory engine May be pushing the rods too.

I guess they will need to be upgraded too. (sigh) new rods, pistons (lower compression) and other regular stuff. thinking i can do it for 3000 euro's. unless the box gives up....... but at that cost, it's worth turning up the horsepower. :lol:

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:32 am

While meeting my tuning guru today about another members engine problem, we got started talking about my Altezza, and what to do with it. he said something that blew my mind : "the Altezza AT is stronger than an Altezza MT" :shock: because the MT missions can spit out a gear easily and are fragile. the AT can be overhauled, and tweaked. to handle a reasonable amout of power. the MT is made by the same company that makes the S13 silvia missions, and are notoriously weak. i outlined my plan to Turbo the Auto 4cyl to make 350hp. he said i'm not aiming high enough. :lol:
The Altezza is suddenly getting more interesting..........

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:59 am

The MT gearbox isn't as weak as people think either they have relatively big gears inside them, they're just susceptible to bad gear changes/dropped clutches etc. I've been running mine unmodified for years behind a 355kW engine with only one breakage which was all my fault :p

Valve springs are also a must as they don't handle boost very well and start to float.

These engines can make great power once you fix a couple of weaknesses.

With the auto head you may notice boost dropping off in the higher revs too, due to valve and cam sizing, but you should have a big fat torque curve in the low to mid range.

Gojira san
Trc On!

Postby Gojira san » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:29 pm

"they're just susceptible to bad gear changes/dropped clutches etc"

This is something i want to avoid. as my friend knows, my driving style is *Cough*"Assertive"*cough* and i use every single Hp available. when he says i'd break the box, i trust him on that. so i was relieved to hear the AT is stronger from the factory. the MT? - perfectly fine stock, capable with extra power as you've shown. but i'll prolly jump in the deep end, drop the clutch, and........... :?

Besides, when a obsessed fool like me, gets together with a guy who builds some of the fastest Drag & Time attack cars in Japan? - you know it will end in new cams,rods,pistons,valve springs,head work,Boost,custom ECU,intercooler,oil cooler,lightened flywheel,2way lsd,Brake upgrades,and a custom exhaust. :lol:

this is just the beginning.....

Thanks for the encouragement, it's cool to see you are running over 350Kw. that is plenty of power. Talking engines and cars is always fun, and it's the one topic we can all do differently, and still be both right.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”