Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Max torque on standard internals

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Max torque on standard internals

Postby Tosh21 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:14 am

There is a lot of info on how much boost to run and what hp to stay under when boosting a standard beams but there doesn't seem to be much info on torque. I am going to be running a Garrett TR30R so hp won't be a problem as it's restricted but they can produce some crazy torque figures so I was just thinking, what kind of torque do people with turbos put out?

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Re: Max torque on standard internals

Postby Soiled » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:17 pm

That's a hard one because dyno read outs can give some pretty weird imaginary torque numbers (Mine reads 2,700nm which would be moving the earth underneath the car :p) .... your best bet would be to look at some graphs from people with turbos on factory engines and work the torque back with something like this http://www.1728.org/mtrtrq.htm

The TR30R is a pretty serious turbo for a factory engine though, so should be interesting! End of the day if you bend a rod (most likely will happen at some stage) will give you a reason to upgrade.

ESXTEZZ
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby ESXTEZZ » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:13 pm

I would stay below 300 lb/ft @ fly

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:57 pm

2700?? That would be pretty impressive lol Ill try aim for 260lbf roughly, other cars seem to be around that region some a bit more so should be ok...I hope!

Yea I am a bit scared of dropping a tr30r on it tbh, have considered getting a different turbo and keeping the tr until I inevitably get bored and go for forged internals but where's the fun in that right?

Will be interesting to see how it performs atleast. Knowing my luck it'l blow up on my home from the tuners

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Just looking through my old dyno graphs and for the 200kW run on standard internals I was making. 200ft/lb (wheels) from 4,200 through to 5,500rpm. Was fine at that, rods had a slight kink in them when I took them out to build the current engine but I'd attribute that more to an average tune and getting some occasional knock.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Chuck it on, you have it now. You can always run low boost if worried.

I say go for a death tune and see at what stage a rod will give up... Put spare engine in and pull it back 10% :p make sure to video it.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:01 pm

lol I like your thinking, got a spare engine? cos I may have 2 of these turbos...twin turbo beams anyone?

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”