Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

i blew her up!! need help with forging or 3sgteing please

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
turbotezza
Trc Off

i blew her up!! need help with forging or 3sgteing please

Postby turbotezza » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:17 pm

hi guys i have killed my car :cry:
its a rs200 manual with turbo conversion .apexi fc ecu ,gt28 turbo ,
lent it to my ex to mot her car and forgot to tell her dont put supermarket fuel in it !! as it knocks and is in need of a remap ,
got it back had some chille peppers on stereo and some dude cut me up racing another dude so being 42 going on 19 i showed them some driving skills!! :lol:
didnt hear it must have been knocking and it let go
its my own stupid fault
i got no compression on 2 and hardly any on 3 , whats strange is 1 and 4 are both only 9psi
anyway im just striping it apart to see if its pistons or head ,im thinking pistons but will let you know

Ive been wanting to forge/upgrade it or 1jz it but problem with 1jz i lose use of my apexi fc im sure
so forge/upgrade is way to go
im not rich so want to do it cheapest way but so it holds up ,
i was thinking 3sgte pistons and get them machined i read you have to do ,, how exactly do they have to be machined ? also can i use 3sgte rods??

many thanks for taking time to read
need answers though dudes not maybes or thoughts cos i dont wana do it twice!! :evil:

kind regards steve

tais300
Trc On!

Re: i blew her up!! need help with forging or 3sgteing pleas

Postby tais300 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Im confused, its a blacktop beams right? 3sgte rods bearings and hardware can all be used. Pistons they cannot due to valve clearance. Id contact cp pistons or arias pistons and have a set made. They are about $550 american dollars. Not to bad considering they will hold a ton of power.

turbotezza
Trc Off

Postby turbotezza » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:30 pm

hi , its a yamaha 3s ge very dark grey cover with beams dual vvti writing in red
i read the 3sgte pistons from a gt4 or mr2 turbo can be used with machineing and can make good power ! ,thats wrong then?

turbotezza
Trc Off

Postby turbotezza » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:35 pm

hi , sorry also is it rods or pistons that will lower comp ratio ?,,, should i lower comp ratio as that will lose power when not on boost?
thanks steve

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 pm

PM Nick the site trader and get a price on forged pistons and rods from him, surprisingly cheap for the combo.

I used Eagle 3SGTE rods and had to machine the top down to fit the piston, honestly now a days with options like the ones Nick offers why go to all that effort?

Machining valve reliefs is a very time precise job, and you have to take in to account the advance of the VVT-i other wise you get pistons that cleared while you do the test turning the engine over by hand... go to drive the car to tune it and hit a little bit of advance and pistons shatter the valves everywhere. Why risk it?

With a smaller turbo there is very little off boost driving, so while cruising it doesn't matter what power you have, slight throttle barely noticeable difference between high comp and low comp, then slightly more throttle and you have boost which makes up for the loss in power you would have had with going low comp, and you can run higher boost which makes the car alot more fun.

My engine uses the TODA 8.5:1 compression pistons and drives perfectly off boost.

If you want to do it cheap, throw a standard engine back in and don't let the ex put crap fuel in it/don't let your ex drive it full stop :p

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Also pretty sure MR2 3SGTE pistons give quite high compression, think it was 2JZGTE pistons that have been used to get a decent compression ratio and strength.

turbotezza
Trc Off

Postby turbotezza » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:24 pm

ok update!
got it all apart and it actually seems the turbo oil seals went threw out oil and its the piston rrings that have gone .
can see top of piston 2 and 3 have had a bit of melting due to knock also bores on 2 and 3 are scored at top

new question is will rebore effect the forge pistons ,rods or will it just be over sized rings ill need

excuse the stupidity!! im superb with a spanner but self taught mechanics tech is a little sour :(

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:29 am

Depends how deep the scores are, you can go for oversized pistons.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Unlucky mate! Never drive a turbo set up without a proper map!

Low comp poisons let you run higher boost without knocking. As for machining pistons it's expensive to do it and they need to be balanced you may aswel buy forged pistons and rods from Nick.

If its a very very light score bigger rings should save it but you will need to hone the engine which probably isn't that cheap.

I'm no engine expert but if you don't have a decent budget I think it's game over. I'd try find a standard 3sge and replace it. Sell off anything that isn't damaged or keep the engine and build it slowly into an absolute beast.

turbotezza
Trc Off

Postby turbotezza » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:08 pm

thanks all for your advice
im going to forge it and balls to the cost
i wana make 400bhp so will be needing other bits too
keep you posted at the moment im saving !!!

turbotezza
Trc Off

Postby turbotezza » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:05 am

hello all ,
ive finally got some dosh together to start buying what i need im going to forge bottom end and go for some bhp but have a head full of questions before i do and hopefully you guys can help me yet again :D
ok here goes

best place for head gasket?
what injectors should i use ? got standard in mine
supra tt fuel pump ?
does the vvti restrict turbo power? or can it be modified?
what turbocharger should i go? for had a cheap gt28 which didnt come on boost till 4k ish so was thinking of changing it
uprated clutch ? should i ?,where can i get ?
should i be getting anything else ? besides a brain that can make decisions!

sorry if that was all to much and now you feel stressed like i do lol but thanks again in advance
steve

turbotezza
Trc Off

Postby turbotezza » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 am

ah ! are head bolts normal use again or stretch bolts gota buy new 1s

ESXTEZZ
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby ESXTEZZ » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:09 pm

You want 550 to 600 cc injectors for that power, use a walbro 255 pump for a supra tt.
If you get the correct comp pistons 8.5:1 or 9:1 you should use a standard altezza gasket as its tri metal.
The turbo is your choice, spec for something over your required bhp but go with a ball bearing type.
VVTI will help with turbo spool and keep you on boost if tuned properly, tune out the overlap midrange and top end, lower down a bit of overlap will help with spool.
Don't go cheap on a clutch and if its a daily driver you don't need a paddle clutch setup, look at competition clutch, clutch master, Spec or a similar high end brand. The jap stuff is good but over priced.
Head and main bolts are single use.

Your gonna need minimum:

Pistons + ring set ( I recommend cp)
Rods
head studs
main studs
Main bearings
big end bearings
full engine gasket set
water pump
cam belt
new thermostat

Add machine work for block bore and hone, crank polish or grind, crank and flywheel balance

If you need help with parts mesg me and il help you out, I might have some parts for you aswell next week.

turbotezza
Trc Off

Postby turbotezza » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:08 pm

ok buddy , thanks heaps your a star
steve

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 pm

I'd suggest bigger than 600cc injectors for 400hp, Injector Dynamic ID1000's as they have the same spray pattern as Sard or equivelant 600cc injectors so have no idle/low load issues and give you head room for improvement later.

You'd ideally like a return fuel system with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator as well.

As for turbo you'd be looking for a Garrett GT2871r with a decent sized exhaust housing (.84+) or a GT3076 with a smaller housing (~.64)

You'll also need at minimum stiffer valve springs to stop lift on boost, but preferably some cams as well.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”