ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

Altezza conversion Turbo

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
ronniehq93
Noob!

Altezza conversion Turbo

Postby ronniehq93 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:09 am

Hey guys, what Turbo can the Altezza be safe to run on? it's a 3S engine, what would I need apart from the Turbo kit to complete the Turbo step?

Any help? :?:
Ronnie Ahmed_______________________________________________________________________

Toyota Altezza 1999 - White
Done up by Team 5Zigen in Japan

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Re: Altezza conversion Turbo

Postby Soiled » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:52 pm

If you search this topic has been covered lots before.

What kit are you looking at getting? Can't say what else you'll need with out knowing what you're getting.

Also what are you aiming for with the turbo extra 20hp 50hp 100hp?

ronniehq93
Noob!

Postby ronniehq93 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:36 am

I'm thinkin' of a TD05 Turbo, what would you recommend? I want as much power as it can give out and it should be able to handle that kind of power.
Ronnie Ahmed_______________________________________________________________________

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:51 am

TD04 with a big exhaust wheel (close to 1:1 ratio to cope with revs) is the turbo most people go with on a stock engine, you will need bigger injectors and fuel pump to cope with the demand. A tuneable Ecu and the rest is just pipe work and intercooler etc.

A TD05 will be an overkill if you aren't opening the engine, but can be done aslong as you have a good tuner and access to good/consistent fuel.

ronniehq93
Noob!

Postby ronniehq93 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:00 am

I think I'll just go with a TD04. What parts would need changin' and in what way?

I've got a lot on my mind, lol, I'm also thinkin' of an alternative, which is, puttin' in a 2JZ. Has anyone on this site ever done the 2JZ conversion?

It would be kind'a ideal 'cause it would be less of a hassle to start changin' internal parts and all. I mean it's already got everythin' to support a Turbo; plus, you get to have a bigger Turbo.

What should I do? :roll: :|

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am

2J has been done. It's all down to personal preference as to what to do. Getting an engine swap to work well is just as hard as changing internals. Both have pros and cons.

You need to sit down and decide your budget as a bolt on turbo kit vs an engine swap vs forged internals all have different costs. Also how much you can so yourself vs a workshop.

ronniehq93
Noob!

Postby ronniehq93 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Ok, for a Turbo, is it compulsory for my ECU to be remapped?

And how so I know what internals need to be upgraded? Could there be a list of internals upgrade I could follow with the help of someone who Turbo'd their Tezza?

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Yes you will need atleast a piggyback Ecu to control the fuel.

Search members builds or garages there is an abundance of info on this site so you can see what build will suit your skills/budget as I could type out a pretty wishlist but it's a waste of time if you only have enough for a bolt on turbo.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:59 pm

Depends on budget. The way I see it, if your gona do it do it properly. Something like a turbo especially on such high compression u shouldn't really skip steps or do it as cheap as possible your just asking for trouble down the line. You can run about .7 bar max on stock engine. Pushes nearly 300 I think. If u want more you need forged pistons and rods which you can get off Nick, I'd uprate the head studs too, probably a water pump and and oil cooler. Need massive injectors too. I woukd go full standalone ecu for sure. As for a jz swap, personally I think k it's stupid. The exhaust is on the wrong side so the downpipe is dodgy and it's quite alot of hassle messing with looms, moving stuff about etc

ronniehq93
Noob!

Postby ronniehq93 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Soiled, thanks; you're words are real wise. At the moment, I have been lookin' for Turbo kits online.

I found this to be the cheapest online:
http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-td ... 3s-ge.html

I don't get it, why so expensive? it doesn't even have an intercooler included in the kit.
That's like $2,200+
I need an intercooler kit, oil pan upgrade kit, etc. mentioned on the same site which will work out to an extra $1000. Plus freight, 'till my country it's goin' to add up another $400-$600 (roughly). By the way, freight charges and services are real sh*t and a pain in the a** in my country. It's pointless.

I'd rather top up a bit of cash and get a 2JZ.
Actually, my friend found for me a 2JZ, twin-turbo; which is already within the country and the guy is goin' to give it with the ECU and gearbox. he's askin' for $2600, that's his first price, I'm sure negotiations are open. Plus, my other friend has got an aftermarket ECU from Apexi for a Supra 2JZ.
I also had heard of an Altezza engine, with a turbo on it already, for sale; although, the body was damaged since it was in an accident. I wanted to go have a look and test it, but it was in another town (4-6 hours away). Last time I heard, someone already bought it, took it to South Africa, did it up and brought it back and is rollin' in the streets now. It was quoted to me for about $2100 when it was still sleepin'.

Still workin' my way out. My only worry is the wirin' in case I decide or get convinced to go 2JZ. As in, how do I fit the wirin' and stuff? And will the Supra gearbox fit on to the chassis or I'll need to get the Soarer R154 tranny as previous conversions consist of the Soarer tranny?

I don't know if there is someone good enough, in the country I am, to start rewirin' the whole car.

Still puzzled and need enlightenment. :? :|

Tosh21, I like the way you're sharin' your opinion. You mean Turbo rather than a 2JZ conversion, yeah? So, what you're sayin' is that once those parts you mentioned are upgraded, I could still run on the stock ECU 'till .7 bar? and what of the fuel pump, does it need an upgrade?

If possible, please give me Nick's ID, I can contact him and get a quote of the items.

Oh, yeah, guys. I have ordered a Wet NOS kit for the mean time from South Africa, do you think I should test it on the stock motor or wait for a Turbo?

ronniehq93
Noob!

Postby ronniehq93 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:02 pm

And, in case, if any one of you might know of a Turbo kit cheaper than on the link above, please let me know. ;)

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 pm

I honestly don't know about running a stock ecu on a turbo but I don't think you can, I don't think they can be mapped and if you turbo you can't run safely without getting it mapped on a dyno.

If you want 600 odd break then definitely need a jz but the 3sge can go into the mid 400s. Also you would have to get a custom exhaust system made fora jz swap which would get very pricey for a nice decent system.

I'm turboing now and it can push 280-300 running low boost, about .6 or .7 bar. Apart from the obvious turbo parts you will need bigger injectors, a set from a caldina work very well and a fuel pump. Seen a few people say they run a walbro 225.

Just be careful with leaving the standard thickness head gasket as the compression will still be really high and if you can't get any good fuel it can be a bit sketchy.

Nick has a separate bit on the main forum page you can find his email there. He is very helpful

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Nick@nst.co.nz email him. He can get you a price on the GReddy kit, a GReddy bolt on withdraw intercooler kit plus injectors and fuel pump will net you 200kW+ depending on the tuner. The kit comes with a piggy back Ecu which requires minimal wiring and works well.

This is probably the most tried and tested kit out there for the Altezza and although may seem expensive it is well worth it. I myself ran it for 3 years with no issues before ditching it for my next setup. This can also be installed at home in an afternoon if you have some sort of mechanical inclination as most of it is just pull stuff off bolt new bits on.

Whatever you do you will require some sort of piggyback ecu minimum to be safe with fuelling.

If you're even slightly concerned at the price of the bolt on turbo kit don't go for a 2JZ, as an engine is just a minor price of getting an engine swap to work -well-.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”