Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Putting Camshaft Pulleys back together!

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Protok
Tezza Fanatic!

Putting Camshaft Pulleys back together!

Postby Protok » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Hello all

Recently bought a spare head for pennies to play with but it came with the pulleys taken apart, now my online searching has said that "cannot be put back together"
Now common sense dictates that someone must have put them together in the first place, so how does one put them back together?
Is there an Altezza BGB? Something that can show how to take one apart etc

I have access to engineering equipment and even access to a mechanical engineer if my skills are found to be wanting.

And of course if all that is impossible, anyone got a pair of pulleys for sale? Preferably with the solenoids? Not sure I want to spend £50 each from Toyota for them to be an experiment.

Cheers
Red

Protok
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Putting Camshaft Pulleys back together!

Postby Protok » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:38 am

Anyone?

tezzie
Noob!

Postby tezzie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Think I read somewhere you need a special jig to put them back together

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 pm

pulled my head off today. the cams have to come out to get the head off so the pulleys have to come off therefore the pulleys have to come off when you change the head gasket so it would be stupid not to be able to go back together. I know what you mean though it's a pretty daunting task. I didn't realise there was a spring under it so I undid it all and the pulley shot out the car and nearly hit me! I haven't tried to rebuild it yet but When taking it apart I noticed there is a recess cut out on the pulley so they can only go one way. I'm pretty sure it'snot that hard it looks pretty straightforward. There is an engine manual somewhere from newzeland which has the cams in it. I have it printed it off but I can't remember where I found it unfortunately. best bet is to look for that it will tell you all you need to know

j0hann3s
Noob!

Postby j0hann3s » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:59 am

I got the engine manual (digital and hard-copy).
Hard to find indeed. If interested, please pm me.
wrsm

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:10 am

Yea...It's put together on a jig...crap! I'm sure there's a way to do without it, there must be. We're going to try tomorrow, will let you know how we did it if we can figure it out.

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:05 am

iv taken off the head a few times now, the pulleys come off... but do not have to come apart!

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”