Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Big power without turbo?

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Big power without turbo?

Postby Tosh21 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:18 am

I'm getting mapped in 2 week so will know what power I'm starting with, hoping to be near the 200 mark, quite an old engine. I'm just pondering on what to do with the car at the moment, I want to run N/A for a while at atleast 250 BHP if not more. I was thinking of polishing up the head and flow testing it, lap the valves, check combustion chamber volumes and machine pistons as needed so all cylinders are running the same compression and a few other things. Want to run ITB's too with a plenum. Also I was thinking about boring the cylinders out a little to fit bigger pistons. What are my options for pistons? I want to replace only the pistons if possible. I'm thinking about running a turbo eventually but will probably change engine instead of trying to make mine stronger.

Cheers

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Big power without turbo?

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Unless you have loads of money I wouldn't bother touching the engine internals.
If you want to do something to get more power it's going to have to be either raised compression and itb's with a map sensor capable ecu or turbo / supercharged again with a decent ecu capable of controlling the extra fueling.

Either way it's not cheap.
I'm selling my turbocharged rs200 for cheaper than it costs to get all the components just for going forced induction.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:19 pm

I take it the engine is pretty much as tuned as can be already? I have been REALLY tempted with a turbo and the idea is constantly in the back of my mind. I have a turbo already and I'm a fabricator so can make the exhaust for free and the intercooler for next to nothing also. I've heard you can turbo on standard internals as long as you run low boost, is that true? Just seems a bit crazy to be running a turbo with such a high compression ratio :shock: that's the only thing that's stopping me really, I'm scared it will blow up lol

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 am

Many have run at 200kw+ for many years on factory internals with turbos. All comes down to a good tune as to whether or not the engine survives.

If you're going to go NA go NA as the parts that make an NA able to make good power will not cross over to a turbo making good power. If you want to go turbo go turbo, trying to do one then the other will cost you moon beams.

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:28 pm

mine has been running over 300hp since it came into the country on one of the greddy td04 turbo kits.
im unsure as to whether the internals have been changed but it does have a thicker headgasket to lower the compression.
if you do make an exhaust for going turbo im after a decent manifold and down pipe.
if you want a mule car to get measurements from to keep yours on the road im more than willing to lend it to you.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Soiled wrote:Many have run at 200kw+ for many years on factory internals with turbos. All comes down to a good tune as to whether or not the engine survives.

If you're going to go NA go NA as the parts that make an NA able to make good power will not cross over to a turbo making good power. If you want to go turbo go turbo, trying to do one then the other will cost you moon beams.

Yea makes sense, may aswel just turbo then! It was running the standard compression more than anything which put me off and I'd rather avoid using a thicker gasket, bit scared to take the head off as I'll be way too tempted to rebuild it :p

Cheers twiglett but I've got 2 cars anyway so I can leave the tezza in bits and still get about. As for manifold etc I've made loads of exhausts but never made a manifold so I'll make one for myself first and then maybe I can sort you out ;) won't be for a couple of months though I'm away for over a month soon. I'll PM you when I'm back mate have a proper chat about it then.

hermit
Trc Off

Postby hermit » Tue May 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Glad to see your going turbo now pal 8)
I can lend you my manifold Tosh if you want to try copy it?
And I can vouch for Tosh's welding. Top stuff, he made a 3" down pipe and exhaust for me and I'm well happy with his work :D
I'll post a few pics of his work later

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Couldn't resist, I miss opening the bonnet and seeing a cheeky snail! I might do to be fair, I'm not sure if my bends are tight enough though but will let you know after I have a proper plan and look at it all.

That reminds me, throw up a vid when you get her running! I'm dying to hear that exhaust

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”